Chapter 10

On Kylian's second day on the job, he sat at his desk within his personal 512 cubic feet of air which he called "his cube," and looked with blank eyes at his terminal. He was not thinking about work, but instead, he reminisced about his encounter yesterday with Viviane. He daydreamed about her non-stop.

Kylian turned to ask his neighbors in the sea of cubicles. "Hey, do you guys know about that girl Viviane Fox?"

A fellow researcher within earshot answered back. "What are you talking about? Of course, we all know about her!"

Three other guys, also within earshot, became interested and joined in.

"Yeah how can you NOT know? She's just the most beautiful graduate student we've got working here," said another.

"Not just here, but maybe for miles and miles around!" added yet another.

These were not the answers Kylian wanted to hear. "Yeah, but does anyone know anything about her? Like, does she have any interests outside of work? Or if she's in a serious relationship with anyone?"

"She doesn't have a boyfriend if that's what you're asking," said the first researcher.

"Some of us have tried to ask her out, but everyone who's tried has struck out," said the second researcher.

A third colleague offered some unsolicited advice to Kylian. "Don't get any ideas, newbie. She's not interested in any of us. You'd better just give up on her and just let her blend into the background scenery."

A fourth colleague with thick rimmed glasses which hid his eyes with glare sat in a corner by himself. He listened to the other three gossip about Viviane, but now he had something mysterious to add. His voice was ominous. "If you really want to know something about that Fox girl, come here and take a look at what I've got."

Taken aback by such an ominous tone, Kylian approached the fourth colleague with trepidation and noticed that he had what looked to be a magazine rolled up in his hand. "I have a secret to tell you about the Fox girl you're so interested in. Behold! It's the latest issue of the Soyeux catalog!"

Kylian jumped, expecting maybe to be stabbed with a knife, but relaxed to just see a catalog thrust at him. "What's this? It's just a clothing catalog. What am I supposed to do with it? Buy a coat?"

"No, you simpleton. Open it up and look inside!" implored the owner of the magazine.

Kylian reached out and took the clothing catalog from the fourth guy whose glasses glinted with glee. The other three guys grinned at Kylian with heightened anticipation.

As soon as Kylian opened to the first page, the four guys crowded around him to get a look too. Upon first glance, Kylian saw a typical catalog of men's and women's clothing for sale both online and at Soyeux's retail stores. It was filled with all kinds of fashionable garments from coats, street clothes, shoes, bags, underwear, jewelry, sports and swimwear. There was nothing special at all! Kylian furrowed his brow, confused at all the attention the others paid to this simple clothes catalog.

"Look here on page 18! See anything you like?" asked one of other four guys, while the other three snickered.

Kylian turned to page 18 of the catalog. There he saw a picture of Viviane modeling a matching set of black lingerie. As if a ruler had struck him on the head, a jolt of shock ran all through his body.

It took a while for Kylian to even blink again, but he finally shook free. "Is that really her?"

"Yes! And there's more of her in there. Just flip through the pages!"

Kylian flipped through the pages and saw several more pictures of Viviane modeling all kinds of clothes in all kinds of poses. She wore everything: cute tops, sassy skirts, more lingerie, yoga pants and sports bras.

"Just how 'secret' is Viviane's modeling job?" asked Kylian to the group.

"Oh, everyone knows," said someone.

"But no one says anything about it around her or here at the lab," said another.

"Yeah, we don't want it to become awkward when she's around. We like to admire her in secret," said the last one.

Kylian stared at the last picture of Viviane on the back cover of the catalog. His head swam with the images he saw. Who is this girl with both the body of a model and the brains of a physicist? Could she be for real?