Chapter 14

The sky was dark, yet bright lights lit the campus of the University and the adjacent National Laboratory. STS, the local law enforcement agency, had posted guards inside the entrances of all the buildings and they patrolled the grounds on a frequent schedule, either in car or on foot. If any criminal was stupid enough to attempt committing a crime here, the use of force would be overwhelming. Capital City was indeed a safe city to live in.

Viviane entered through the glass doors of the research offices of the National Laboratory and the STS guard at the entrance identified her on sight and waved her through.

"Good evening, Ms. Fox. No need to show your ID. Working late tonight?" asked the guard.

"Yes, I have some data that I want to look at," said Viviane and she walked past the guard on her way up the stairs to the offices above.

"I believe Mr. Bouche is the only one left upstairs," said the guard.

"Kylian Bouche?"

"Yes. New guy I believe?"

"Thanks," said Viviane before she headed upstairs to what she thought would be a night of looking at spreadsheets.

Kylian, who had been upstairs at his desk, heard someone walking through the offices and leaned out of his cube to see who it might be. He caught sight of Viviane walking to her desk and almost fell out of his chair in surprise. His mind re-winded back to all those pictures he saw in the Soyeux catalog of Viviane modeling lingerie and he started to feel hot under the collar while beads of sweat started rolling down his temples.

Oh man! thought Kylian. What's she doing here at this time of night? I think I'm the only one here. Should I let her know I'm here, too? Why am I sweating? Does my breath smell? What should I do? he asked himself over and over.

While Kylian mentally wrestled with himself, Viviane made the first move.

"Kylian! Are you in here?" Viviane called out.

As if he had stuck his finger into an electrical outlet, Kylian was shocked at hearing Viviane's voice. "Gaaaahhhh! Um, yes! I'm here! I think. No wait, I know I'm here. What I meant to say is I think I'm the only one though. How did you know I was here?"

"The guard at the entrance told me."

"Oh, I guess that makes sense."

Upon hearing Kylian in the research offices, Viviane headed over to his desk. Kylian saw her coming down the aisle toward him. She was still wearing her last outfit from her Soyeux shoot today and still had all her hair and makeup done. She looked beautiful. Kylian said nothing once Viviane reached his desk. He could only stand there blinking his eyes and sweating from his forehead.

Uh oh! What do I say? thought Kylian. All I can think about are those pictures I saw of her in that catalog, but I can't let her know that I've seen them! She might think I'm some kind of pervert. How can I get out of this situation?

The pregnant pause caused by Kylian's inaction was finally broken. "I shouldn't be here. Sorry about that!" Kylian blurted out.

"Why are you apologizing for sitting at your own desk?" asked Viviane.

"Oh, I suppose you've got a point. I'm sorry, I don't normally talk to girls like that. I mean, what I meant to say was that I don't normally talk to girls. No, that didn't come out right either. What I meant to say is that I don't normally... never mind, I'm just sorry, OK? I don't know what I'm saying! Don't slap me!" and Kylian ducked behind his arms.