•Betrayal•

-Cara's POV-

"Cut the shit Axel," I laugh as my little brother snatches the toast out of my hands.

It was nearing the end of my freshman year in the Lockwood Community College. I still lived with my family because we were poor.

I'll be able to change this. Don't worry papa, I'll do it for you, I thought.

My mother had died when I was born, so my papa was my only guardian. That was until my stepmother who is untrusting and her kind daughter were put into the family. However, even with the addition, papa was always there for me. He gave me so much love that inspires me even to this day to do well in school.

"Good morning Cara," a sappy voice rose up behind me.

I whirled around to see my older stepsister, Ana. She was extremely kind to me and helped me whenever I was in need. I hugged her, the warm scent of fresh strawberries embracing me. Her fiery red hair always contrasted with my dark brown hair.

My papa walked into the kitchen which was currently a mess because of Axel. He warmly smiled at me and quickly walked out the door looking clearly worried. I ran out to ask him what was wrong, but my stepmother gripped my shoulder.

"Child, eat your food. We don't want to waste it," she says snappish. "Right," I say a little distraught and I finish my toast.

I run upstairs and quickly jumble all my supplies and books into a bag. My dream one day was to become a doctor. Currently I was a second year med student with a bachelors in biology. I shove on a white tee and jeans while anxiously putting my hair up in a messy bun.

I run downstairs and kiss Ana and Axel on the cheek. I quickly wave to my stepmother who glared at me in return. I run out the door and walk to the bus stop. Yikes the old crow is never in a good mood. Then again, when is she ever, I think to myself as I sit on the unnaturally cold bench. I get on the bus that squeaked and shuddered when it arrived ready to start the new day.

During lunch, I meet up with a few of my friends, Dawna and Kevin. She was a cute little sweatshirt wearing girl, always having something to scowl about. Kevin was a tall basketball player with more love for food than his own girlfriend. We walk out to a nearby taco hut. Kevin voluntarily pays for my lunch in return that I tutor him for one of his upcoming tests.

"Girl how many days have you worn that shirt?" Dawna asks wrinkling her nose. I begin to protest, but the ringer on my flip phone cut me off. Kevin comes back, tacos in hand. I answer the call and I hear a happy voice on the other line, "Cara! Come shopping with me after school. I saved up so we both can get a dress," Ana almost shrieks. "Alright, see you then," I smile into the phone and end the call.

Dawna raises an eyebrow at me when I put the phone in my pocket. "Was that Ana? She gives me a weird vibe," she says uncertain. I dismiss her by shoving a taco in her mouth. Kevin begins laughing and we finish our lunches. I dread through my classes and finally slump out of my last period, happy that it is the weekend. Today I was extremely tired and I didn't know why.

All I'm looking forward to is sleeping and hanging out with Ana, I think happily. I decide to go to the bathroom before leaving and check out how bad I was looking today.

I push open the doors and stare into the mirror. All I saw was a tall brunette with hazel eyes. Her freckles were defined and splashed on her nose like a constellation. Her eyebrows clearly shaped and her jawline was rockin'. I feel kind of pretty today, I think to myself as I leave the college.

When I get home, I crash on the couch, my body immediately attaching to it like a bear on honey. "Silly get up, we have to look glam today," Ana says pouncing on me and cheek kissing me. "Can't we just sit here and eat food," I pout, hoping she would change her mind. She shook her head and dragged me to the family car. I spotted my stepmom in the drivers seat, clearly looking annoyed.

"Mom here is going to drive us to the mall," Ana says while staring at her. Why is Ana looking at her so intently? I shake the thought from my mind and sit in the car. We silently drive to the Lockwood Mall and get dropped off at the front. "Time to go in sis," Ana says while smiling. Her smile looked a little off though. Maybe it's just me. After what seemed like hours, our stepmom picked us up.

"Man I can't wait to sleep," I groan as I collapse into the car. When driving I notice that we missed an exit that would take us home. Ana seemed to notice and says hurriedly, "Don't worry silly, we are gonna try on our dresses." I nod, but when I glanced at her, I froze. She was smiling, but it wasn't her usually go happy one, it was almost creepy and devious. Never mind it. I'm probably just tired.

We eventually ended up at a mansion, beautiful and big. We park in front of it, with a fountain in the background. I stared in awe and gulp, "Why are we here? We can't afford this?" Ana smiles dimly and leads me out the door holding both of our dresses in one bag. Our stepmom hurriedly jumps out the door and tosses the key to a valet. She pushes me to the doors and we walk in. Wow. It's incredibly gorgeous. Look at all these paintings, the marble floor, and even the chandelier! Ana giggles and pokes me on the nose. A man in a suit approaches us.

"Hello madam, welcome to your stay. The guest will appear shortly. Please let me lead the way," his gruff voice echoes as he walks through one of the hallways. We follow him and he gestures toward a door. Inside, it is what seems to be a dressing room.

"Go on put on your dress. I'll put mine on too," Ana grins. I weakly smile, still confused by this sudden event. I pull out the white simple gown that seemed to cost much. I put it on and toss my hair into a bun. "Really now, you need to stop doing that," Ana says as she reaches for my hair. Is my hair weird in a bun? I've always had it up. She puts on a black dress fitted around her curves. "Wow-w you-u  look stunning," I stutter.

She pushes me out of the doors and we again see the man in the suit. "This way ladies," he says with his voice lowered. He walks up the stairs into another dashing large room. "It's beautiful," I gasp, my eyes twinkling.

"Good evening ladies," a husky voice says behind us. I slowly turn around and I nearly fall. The man I see is so beautiful I'm at loss for words. His eyes are a deep grey, the color of cold silver. His hair was a peppery brown, longish as it is messily swept over. His jawline clearly defined and a stubble on his face. His body was... wow. His tight fitting dress shirt unbuttoned at the cuff, his muscles clearly shown through the shirt. His cigarette was dangling from his mouth and he looked at us coldly, but curiously.

He stares at me for a while, studying me and then finally speaks, "Claire, our deal is?"

She clears her throat and replies, "You may have this girl and in return we get money. It doesn't matter what you do with her." My blood ran cold. I swivel on her, "What the hell Claire? We never.. I would never.." Ana walks up to me and trails a finger under my chin. "Ana, please tell your mother she's crazy. Given that.. She's insane!" She purred, "Oh Cara. If only you knew how much we hated you." My heart shattered. What? How? I thought..I thought they loved me? My own sister? She.. I was interrupted by a cutting edge voice. "Claire, I agree to your offer. Men." The gorgeous man then flicks his fingers toward us. The suited men surrounding him hands suitcase to my stepmother.

She grabs it, her eyes showing greed and victory. Ana smugly laughs and glares at me but sweetly. "Ana you bitch. How fucking dare you," I seethe in anger. She clicks her tongue, "No hard feelings. Pleasure to make business with you Mr. Ethan Stone. Let me know if I can do anything for you," she winks. "You are too crude for my taste. In fact I find you uglier than most," the man I suppose is Ethan sharply says. He motions for them to leave and they are escorted out. They turn back one last time to see my reaction. I hold up my middle finger toward them.

"My my? The rose has a thorn," Ethan whispers as he points my chin up so I face him. I glare at him and I collapse, too overwhelmed by these events. My vision getting hazier and then...blackness.