Childhood Friends Au

TW: mentions of alcohol abuse, and the insane mentality that comes with it, there is also some attempted abuse, I'll put a [ when it starts and a ] when it ends

The familiar sound of glass shattering bounced off the walls and into my room. I frowned and got up, shutting the door and locking it. Then I quickly scrambled over to the window, just to be as far away from the living room as I can be. I winced and flinched at the harsh words my parents threw at each other.

What happened? We used to be a wonderful family. Mom and Dad would take me to the park. They would play with me and kiss each other. We were normal. Everything was good and happy. What happened?

The screaming got louder and louder, and I curled into a tighter and tighter ball. I looked at the window and got up, cautiously walking over to it. I flipped off the safety and opened it.

I dangled my legs out and breathed in the salty breeze of Florida air. I looked down and took off my socks.

I jumped.

My room was on the first floor, so I landed safely. I wasted no time, running to the beach. I didn't stop until I felt the freezing water on my toes. I stopped and stared out at the moon. Tears rolled down my cheeks. What happened?

I sat down, not caring if my pants got wet, I sat down and cried. I cried until I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. I flinched and looked up. A boy was standing there. This boy was from my class, but I couldn't place my finger on it. He looked at me with concern. It's been a while since someone was concerned about me.

"Hey, are okay?" he asked softly. I hesitated, then shook my head, what was the point of lying? He'd seen me cry. He sat down next to me. "Do you wanna talk about it?" he asked again. I shook my head no immediately. He hummed in acknowledgement, and we sat there in silence.

I started thinking about home. I didn't wanna go back. I didn't wanna see dad, and mom would be asleep. I didn't wanna have to lock my door every night just in case. I didn't wanna have to care for myself.

The boys wrapped his arms around me in a hug. "Hey hey, it's okay, uhm... I-I'm Roman, I like soccer, theater, and rainbows. My favorite color is red, but not like the one that hurts your eyes, I like to one that has a little bit of purple in it," he rambled. I found his voice relaxing and I calmed down, not realizing I had laid my head on his shoulder. He either didn't notice or care. "I know you're in my class, so you know which school I go to. I have two moms, a brother, and a sister. I have two really good friends, Patton and Logan. Logan really likes space, Patton really likes animals. We play tag during recess," he kept rambling on and on until I decided to say something.

"I-I'm V-Virgil...." I said quietly. He stopped talking and smiled at me.

"That's a cute name!" he grinned, I blushed, I was used to people saying my name was weird.

"Thanks..." I mumbled. He grinned again.

We were 7

*

I was sitting in the living room, working on homework. I didn't understand why mom hadn't divorced dad yet. Mom was the only one working. Dad just lazed at home and did nothing. But I guess a divorce costs money, and Mom has two child mouths to feed and occasionally a lazy grump too.

The door of my dad's room slammed open. I silently prayed my sister Velma was upstairs in her room. But she wasn't. She was on the couch beside me watching Steven Universe. Her head snapped up and her eyes met mine, I grabbed her hand and ran out of the house with her in tow. She followed, keeping up with me perfectly.

I took her to the beach and found a log, I gently sat her down on it, and I could see her eyes watering.

"Why V? Why is dad such a bad person?" her voice wavered.