Intruder Alert!

Okay, so I recently got into a game called Arcana, and this chapter is based on an event in the very beginning. Keyword on based, if you know the game, you can probably tell that I love Julian lol

~Virgil's PoV~

Logan was packing his bags, going off on another adventure. Deceit, his snake familiar, draping across my shoulders, trying to catch a few more sun rays before the sun went down.

I was watching Logan from beside the window, and the sun was going down. You see, Logan had this arbitrary rule of always leaving for adventures at twilight. Maybe it was a magic wizard thing? Who knows.

Oh, right. Logan was the owner of a book store, I worked for him. I used to be a petty street thief until Logan took me in, he housed me, fed me, was like the father I never had. So when I was finally old enough I paid back the favor by working in the book shop. 

This was no ordinary book shop though. Sure, we had all the latest hits, and the old-timey classics, but behind the heavy velvet curtains, where we told most customers was our 'employee break room' was the restricted section. The restricted section was full of alchemy books, magic books, spell books, all sorts of mumbo jumbo that gave the book store it's... reputation. 

Witches, Warlocks, Wizards, and all sorts of other magic users came to our store to buy these books. 

Logan himself was a wizard, and he has taught me everything he knows, making me his Wizard Apprentice.

But right now Logan was packing his bags in a hurry, mumbling about how he "needs to leave immediately" and fumbling with his belongings, which I had never before seen him do. 

He briskly walked to me and Deceit resigned himself to his fate and slithered up Logan's arm and on to his shoulders. Logan gave my shoulder a tight squeeze and said goodbye, before leaving the shop.

Now, just because Logan left, doesn't mean the shop closed. A few more customers came in and out. And just as I was about to close, when a strange lady wearing a shawl walked in

She looked around the store for a bit, before walking towards me, "Do you know where Logan is?" she asked. I had to stop myself from telling her it was 'Mr. Cogn' to her, but if she called him Logan she must know him well.

"He's gone," I said nonchalantly. She scowled.

"Of course, the one day I need him, he's gone!" 

I noticed that her purse was filled with potions and all sorts of other alchemy stuff. I looked at it long enough for her to notice me looking at it before she could hide the stuff or throw a potion at me to make me forget, I spoke.

"Restricted section?" I asked knowingly, brow arching up. Her posture slacked as she sighed with relief.

"Yes, yes please,"

I nodded and led her over the curtains, pulling them aside and letting her step through.

"Are you his apprentice?" she asked absentmindedly, looking over the alchemy books.

I hummed. She smiled, "You have a great teacher," she picked up a book and read the "CONTENTS" page, "Where really is he?" she asked again.

"On an adventure, he was in a rush this time," 

She hummed thoughtfully before handing me the book, "I'll have this, thank you,"

I nodded and rung her up and the register, she gave me a few gold coins, common magic user currency, and left with the book. The second she closed the door I locked it and shut all the curtains.