7

~ Savannah ~

Today the sunrise is mesmerizing. The pink and golden touch reflect onto the water and it's as if the whole sky and ocean are one pastel palette.

My dogs sit with me on the porch connected to my room. It took some effort to slide the door open but now we sit peacefully look out at the ocean. I decided to skip my morning walk today especially since Rose seems tired. She doesn't really get tired so I'm worried she might be sick.

"Sav?"

I look back and see mom at the door.

"Someone's here to see you." She says with a calm smile.

I wheel to the door where mom takes over and pushes me out. I have a feeling I know who it is. Rose and Oak follow at a slow pace and when I enter the living room I gesture for mom to stop.

He stands in front of dad, having a very serious conversation. They stop when they see me.

"Miss Savannah. It's good to see you."

My heart honestly dropped for him not being the one I thought would come but it still beats rapidly because I don't know why he's here.

Mr. Canyon smiles at me but I see through the forced effort.

"Hello Mr. Canyon."

He nods once telling me greetings are over.

"I'm here to discuss something very important." He says, gesturing for mom to move me beside the couch as if this was his house.

Dad and mom sit beside each other and I stay put, my dogs lie down beside my feet.

"There is an offer for you, Miss Savannah." He looks from dad to mom then me.

"And what is it?" I ask, hesitant and unsure of what this topic could be about.

Mr. Canyon is a professor at the University of Oceanography and Biology, the only university in the city to not offer the usual courses  but instead to pursue the study and preservation of the ocean as well as the physical ailments or unique conditions of people.

"We would like to offer you a scholarship."

My jaw drops. Me?

Mom inhales sharply and I know she's thinking of everything. From the homeschool lessons and schedule to me having to move myself across hallways in a large university.

I look at her and see her sharing a look with dad. As usual, they're not just concerned about my physical well being but my emotional self as well.

"Mom."

She looks at me and her eyes soften.

I turn back to Mr. Canyon. "And what will I do?"

He smiles more genuinely this time. "I want you to serve as a subject for both oceanography and biology but you must also choose one to study further as well. You will both give and receive insights and personal experiences to help our studies. I know that even if you were still young, you had great experience out in the water and now with your condition, you can be the bridge to both our courses at the University."

I look into his eyes and know there's more to this. More that he won't say in front of my parents. I'm not just going to be a subject who also happens to study a course. There's more to this.

But I nod anyway.

"And when will that start?" I ask, shocking my parents. All their attention is on me.

"The beginning of September." Mr. Canyon replies, a satisfied smile on his face.

Less than a month to prepare. I only have two and a half weeks.