|17|

"If you're not comfortable with this, I won't force you," Jeongguk had his eyebrows knitted in worry, his hand squeezing my clammy ones. I sucked in a breath, shook my head and smiled at him reassuringly.

"No, it's okay, I'm okay—well, I will be, just... just promise me you'll stay by my side," his lips pursed, thinking, a habit of his that I came to notice. "Okay, I promise, but! If ever you want to back down, be it last minute or what, don't hesitate okay?" I smiled softly at his words, now more certain as ever. I'll be okay as long as he's here.

You see, Jeongguk and I had a talk and it involved me fully opening up to him about my life and he suggested that maybe I should go try and talk to my relatives and that if I could, I should forgive them. I was opposed to the idea, disgusted even—heck, just thinking about my relatives makes my stomach churn. But maybe, just maybe, he was right so here we are now, on our way to the school on a saturday where my mother is waiting.

"Hi..." The woman whipped her head towards my direction and a gasp soon emerged from her throat along with a sob. I tightened my hold on Jeongguk's hand and he squeezed mine in return, once again reminding me that he'll be right here through it all.

To my shock, she dropped to her knees and hung her head low, spilling countless apologies. "I—I'm the true monster. I shouldn't have made you believe the words I spat to you. Please forgive me, please my Youngie," I bit my lip in an attempt to try and stop the tears that are threatening to spill, but seeing her like this brings back a lot of painful memories like that time when I decided to end it all.

"Please stand up..." When she did, the waterworks hit me instantly. How would you feel seeing someone you longed for a long time but are also the cause of your pain?

"I missed you," I choked out, "a lot, I—Where have you been? I was so scared and lonely," Now the two of us were a sobbing mess, and they continued to spill apologies. "Where have you been, mom?"

"I have no excuse, please let me make it up to you. Let me be a mother to you, Youngie."

"I don't know..." Can I? Can I really let her enter my life once again?

"Please..." She dropped to her knees once again and held my other hand, begging for me to give her a chance.

If I let her in she'll have a chance to hurt me again. I'll only be left alone in the end if I give her a chance. Can I really stand that?

Just then, I felt his thumb tracing my hand gently and I stare at it before looking up at him, looking at me with a soft smile on his face, as if telling me to try. My gaze dropped to our hands once again and I'm reminded that I won't ever be left alone in the end anymore.

"Okay, I'll—I'll give you a chance... mom."

——————

"I'm so proud of you" Jeongguk said, peppering me with kisses all over my face in between the words. A giggle errupts from my throat as he cups my cheeks and stares at me lovingly. We're back at my house, on a sofa with snacks and ice cream on the table that we bought on the way back home from school.

"Okay staring at you like this makes me want to kith you," I cock my eyebrows at him, feeling a little brave then throwing him a smirk.

"Go ahead then flower boy," An amused smile appeared on his face, his eyebrow raised at my sudden confidence.

"Oh? Since when did my baby become so bold about kissing? Thought you'd be blushing by now."

"If you leave someone flowers and letters, which now that I think about it is cringey, and confess your love for them through those stuff without pissing yourself, don't you think you've mastered the art of confidence by now?"

"Okay shut up miss flower girl, I just wanna kith you and you're out here attacking me like this,"

"Shut up, just kiss me then," He giggled at that and slowly leaned in, may I add, painfully slow. My eyes went down to his soft, cherry-colored lips before my eyes went up to his now closed eyes. The gap between us less than an inch and I could almost feel his lips touching mine—

"Ding dong bitches!" I pushed Jeongguk off me and in the process, I fell off the couch, a squeak slash yelp leaving me. Once she came into view, a knowing smile appeared on her face but before she could say anything about it, I squeaked out, face flushed red,

"Want some ice cream?"

——————

I tried to make the talk between Hwayoung and her mother dramatic but as you just read, it's not so yea, i tried. N e ways we goin ✈️ last chapter uwu

And btw in case any of yall are wondering how she managed to live by herself at such a young age, her father saved some money for her before he died thenn she took online jobs also and she took a part time job at a local flower shop