118

118: Taehyung's POV

- Epilogue -

Stupid.

The word that made me fall harder for her.

"Are you stupid?" she scolded me.

We were in seventh grade when she saw me picking flowers on the campus garden. I was surprised to see her here. And I didn't expect she'd see me. I suddenly felt embarrassed because of my action.

"Can't you read? It says not to pick flowers here," she pointed out while almost glaring at me like a mom to her child who's done something wrong. But, the fact that she's beautiful even when mad made me forget that what I did was wrong.

"I-" tried to say something to defend myself but she got me through it.

"Don't say sorry. But, you shouldn't do something that's forbidden. Take this as a lesson," she said before leaving.

What I did was wrong. But, who cares? She noticed me. We've been on the same block since the beginning of the school year yet this is the first time we actually had an interaction.

I held the rose that I picked from the garden, sneaking inside the classroom while everybody was at the cafeteria for lunch. I left it on her table.

It is really for her. It's Valentine's day and the roses sold at the market were too pricey and I didn't have enough money to buy one.

I was happy then, knowing that I managed to give her a gift. Well, not until we all went back to class, and her table were filled with flowers and chocolates. And I doubt if she could remember the kind of rose from the garden-the one from me.

She's pretty. Everyone likes her. She was famous even during her early teens and I can't blame her. While I? I'm not that cool. Some girls know me for homeworks. But not as a guy for a girl.

"Taehyung!" Hanbin called when he saw me sitting on the bleachers near the soccer field. He waved at me and happily run towards me. I bet he had good news for today.

It's two days after Valentine's but I'm still not over the fact that Jennie had many admirers. My gift for her... went to the trash with all the other gifts. How did I know? I saw her do it.

"I have good news!" see? I know he was going to say that.

"The soccer team's open for new members!!" I can see his excitement and how happy he is but what does that have to do with me?

"So?"

"Let's try out!"

My eyes grew at his statement.

"I'm not really into sports," I said. But, what he said next made me mess my decision of not joining.

"Girls like boys who are part of the school varsities. And if I remember correctly, you told me you like someone. Can't you see? Faith's giving you a chance for that girl!"

Thinking about it... does Jennie like athletes?

There's a big possibility.

"Taehyung, we used to play soccer back when we we're kids. So technically, you can't tell me that you don't know how to play it." That sounds more like a threat than a friendly scold.

I sighed, thinking about it carefully. And in defeat with my own desire for her to like me... I agreed.

It was in 8th grade when Hanbin and I finally played for the school team. We won our first game and the whole block was celebrating with us. Everyone's present for the celebration.

But, I wasn't at all happy. My classmates were teasing Jennie with another guy, saying they look good together. I feel bitter thinking about them. I can't even look at them. I spent the afternoon and the whole time avoiding to hear any topics which relate to that.

Why can't they ship me with her instead?

"Tae, water's out. Could you get a refill?"

We were practicing, one afternoon, when the captain asked me to get a refill. The water container was on the bleachers so I ran towards it. I was meters away when I realized she was there. I didn't recognize her from the middle of the field and I suddenly felt weary of my appearance. I'm full of sweat. And sure, that smells!

"Why did she chose to stay there?" I asked to myself, conscious of her, before walking to get the container.

I was holding my breath when I finally got close. I have no intention of talking to her especially not when I'm this... dirty?

She was silently reading a book, of some sort, her eyes never leaving it. I don't know but somehow I hated that book. She didn't even took a glance at me all the while I was there. And even when I came back with the refill, she's still on her book.

Note. She's a beautiful nerd.

Practice went well. I usually feel tired and drowsy after every practice but this time it was different. Maybe because the whole time, she was there. Though she left minutes before practice was over, it's still a good day for me.

It didn't happen once. In fact, she was present to every practice game. She looks like the manager of the team everytime I found her standing with her arms crossed on her chest, brows furrowed, as if frustrated with how we played. Funny how she's really interested with the game the succeeding days and even brought the whole level to support us for our big game.

But, nothing lasts forever. The joy of her presence made me hoped for the worst. Though I wasn't really expecting that her presence during the practice and the actual game were for me, it made my heart sunk, deeper than the waters of the pacific.

We won the game. I lost her.