Chapter 3

"Congratulations! Your team got second place in the robot contest!... Your certification and fifty dollar amazon gift card will be mailed to you very soon." Spade read off the computer.

"YAY! OMG! We got second place in the competition!!" Spade and Lily squealed. They went to the middle of the room and did a little dance.

"I have to get home to tell my parents about this!" Spade said.

"Ok!" Lily said, still doing a little dance in the room. "We got... yes ya yess second place... oh ya." Lily was saying, paring it to a dance.

"Kay, bye!" Spade said giggling at Lily's dance. Spade ran downstairs and out the door. She ran all the way to her house and even forgot to take her milkshake off the counter at Lily's house.

She flung open the door to her house and ran into the kitchen. Her parents weren't there. She ran to the living room, no parents. Finally Spade ran to her parents room. They were in there.

"Me and Lily got second place in the robot competition." Spade said excitedly, out of breath. Both of her parents looked up at her.

"That's great honey! We're so happy for you." her dad said smiling. Her mom was looking at her phone and nodding.

Spade looked at both of them and ran out of her parents room and straight into her room. She closed the door and jumped on her bean bag chair.

Why can't they just be proud of me for once? Spade wondered. She was starting to get a little tired so she curled up on the chair and took a little nap.

***

An hour later, her mom knocked on her door. "Honey, it's lunch time! We are going to meet the Jackson's for lunch." a pause, "Also, can you wear something nice? This is your dad's client." she said.

Spade sat up and yawned. Her hair was a mess. It was time to get to work. She put on a long-sleeve dark blue dress that went passed her knees. Spade brushed and curled her hair. Then, she went and put on some pink eyeshadow and clear lipstick with some blush. For the finish, she put on black boots. Spade walked down stairs, grabbed her phone, and got into the car with her family.

Her mom was wearing a black pantsuit with black high heels, and her dad was wearing a suit. Whenever Spade's mom said they were meeting with a client, it meant big business.

"Are we going to Red Rose's?" said Spade.

"Yes." replied her mom, looking out the window. Spade sighed. They always went there for all her dad's meetings. She was getting sick of the food there. Spade practically knew the menu by heart.

***

"Hello Jerry. So glad that I could meet with you..." my dad kept talking while Spade zoned out. She started looking around the restaurant. The walls were red with white roses everywhere. The chairs were black and the tables were wood but they were painted white.

Bad choice of color restaurant. Spade thought, shaking her head.

Before she knew it, her family was back at home.

"Honey, I want you to pack for tomorrow at the space center. We are staying overnight until Monday." Spade's mom said, putting her purse on the counter. Her dad went upstairs.

"You mean I am missing school on Monday?" Spade asked, hopefulness in her voice.

Her mom looked at her strangely. "Yes. but why are you happy? School strengthens your brain." she said.

"Sure." Spade said quietly, her eyes on the ground. She walked upstairs to her room. Spade closed the door. Then, she got her suitcase out of her closet and put in on her bed. Spade put her earbuds in and started packing.