9. accept it, babey

The next day you went back to Camp Half-Blood. You wanted to talk to Leo and maybe see Connor.

When you got there, you immediately spotted him.

"Leo!" you yelled, running over to him.

He looked up. "Oh, (Y/N), hey. Did you like the fireworks?"

"Yeah," you said. "They were beautiful."

Leo hummed. "How'd your date go?"

"It was good," you told him. "I wish we could've hung out, though."

"Yeah," Leo said, his pretty eyes dancing around your face. "Me too."

"So," you said softly. "What now? I came down here to hang out, let's do something."

He smiled. "I was working on something in the bunker. You wanna see?"

You nodded and went with him to the bunker. He sat at his worktable and showed you what it was.

"It's kind of a walkie-talkie," Leo said, showing you the small metallic dragon-shaped thing. "But I designed it to look like Festus."

Your eyes went wide. "Leo, this is so cool!"

"I know, right?" he said excitedly. "I'm still working out the bugs, but it's almost good to go. And look-"

He twisted a gear on it and let it lay in his hand. It started whirring and then flying up.

You watched it, amazed. "Leo, that is... I have no words."

He stood up next to you. "Thanks."

You leaned against him, the heat of his skin burning through your shirt.

The back of his hand touched yours for a second.

"(Y/N)," Connor said from the door. "Jason said I'd find you here."

He came over and kissed you. You kissed him back quickly.

You pulled away. "Yeah, I was hanging out with Leo today."

He raised his eyebrows as if he just noticed that Leo was in the room. "Right."

Leo crossed his arms. "Hey."

You felt awkward standing there. "I'll see you later, Stoll."

You punched his arm lightly. He kissed your forehead.

"See you."

He left after that.

Leo rolled his eyes. "What do you even see in him?"

You shrugged. "He's funny. Cute."

"I didn't think he was your type," Leo said.

You shrugged. "I don't have a type. Besides, what did you think my type was, anyway?"

He shrugged. "Better than Connor Stoll."

"Connor Stoll happens to be pretty great," you defended. "And I- I like him. A lot."

Leo scoffed. "Liar."

"What? I'm not lying!"

Leo laughed. "You're totally lying right now. (Y/N), why are you dating him if you don't like him?"

"I like him," you said.

"Stop lying to me and tell me why you don't like your boyfriend," Leo replied.

"He's not... technically my boyfriend," you muttered. "We're not official or anything."

"Oh?" Leo cocked an eyebrow up and stepped closer. "So you're single."

"No! Well, kinda, I guess," you answered.

Leo placed a hand on your waist. "If you're single, can I do this?"

You stood still and didn't answer.

He smiled. "What about this?"

He loomed over you, pressing you gently against the wall. He laid his warm hand on your jaw.

"Leo," you whined softly. He smirked, pressing a feather-light kiss to your jaw.

He smiled at you.

You pushed him off. "Stop it. This isn't some stupid game."

"Relax, I just want you to admit you don't like Connor," he said defensively. "It's not like I was gonna take it any further than that. We're just friends."

"Please," you begged. "Just stop. Even if you don't believe me, just take my word for it. I like Connor."

Leo pursed his lips. "Fine."

"Thank you."

He smiled at you. "You were into it though. Me pressing you into the wall."

You rolled your eyes. "Was not."

//

Later you met Connor on the empty beach.

"Hey," you said.

He grinned ear to ear. "Hi."

You stood with him at the edge of the water. He held your hip.

"You look perfect," he told you.

You turned to him. You wanted him to kiss you, and make you feel warm and beautiful and good.

You wrapped your arms around his neck and pulled him down to you, kissing him hungrily.

He gripped your hips harshly and pulled you closer. It wasn't enough, it was never enough. You kissed Connor until your lips were sore and you still couldn't taste cinnamon.

He pulled away, gazing at you.

You blinked. "Sorry, I just-"

"Don't be," he said. "Just do it again."

//

You went back home later, your lips swollen, feeling sick to your stomach.

You wanted Leo, and you couldn't have him. You wanted him so bad you couldn't stand it.

You sat down on your couch, super bummed. You sighed.

You were probably a bad person for leading Connor on when you didn't even like him.

Percy sat down next to you. "Life sucks, huh?"

"And then you die," you muttered. "A week ago, I didn't even know him. Now being away from him hurts."

"Connor or Leo?"

"Leo," you sighed decisively. "I like him, and he doesn't like me back. That sucks, Perce. How'd you get so lucky that you got Annabeth? You two love each other so much. I want that."

Percy scoffed. "You think it was easy getting her? I literally killed and fought a whole war for her. Twice."

You looked at him.

"And fell into Tartarus. And almost got killed, on multiple occasions. And sometimes she still yells at me."

You rolled your eyes. "At least you have someone to yell at you. I have depression."

"Oh, don't act like I don't have it, too," he said.

The two of you sunk into the couch.

"Kids, please lighten up in there," Sally requested from the kitchen.