Chapter 20- explanation

Steve

I was laying asleep in my room when I heard something. I knew that Percy and Bucky were the only people up right now. This wasn't them. This was gun shots in the entry hall, gun shots that were getting closer.

I jump out of bed and grab my shield. As I run down the hallway, I see Tony and Natasha already in the living area.

"Guys what's going on?" I ask.

Tony shakes his head, "We don't know. I heard the shots, but I don't see anyone. Friday's down too."

"Steve, you wanna come help me find this guy?" Nat asks, "And we can leave Tony to get Friday back online." Tony nodded as he walked away, already typing away in his phone.

Me and Natasha headed to where we heard the most recent shots. After walking around for a while we found the man. He looked to be in he's 40's, he had a beer belly and a bald head.

"Sir, your not allowed to be here. This is private property." I say in a calm, yet demanding, voice.

"Yeah, it'll take more than that to keep me from my prize." The man smirks, "I've waited a long time for this, non of you will stop me now." He raised his gun to us.

Natasha shook her head, "Sir, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Put the gun down and this can all be over."

"Ah, but that's where your wrong. This won't be over until he's dead." The man pulls the trigger and takes off, much faster than anyone his size should be able to move.

I raised my shield and deflected the bullet. Me and Nat ran after the man. He was headed in the direction of the gym. Percy and Bucky would be trapped if we didn't get there soon.

The man was just outside of the gym when he turned and looked at us. "You guys are getting on my nerves. I'm gonna need you to be gone if I'm gonna finish this."

Just then, two large men stepped out of the shadows. They walked towards us, both with guns in their hands. I glanced at Natasha and she gave me a slight nod.

At once, we both ran and attacked the two men. Nat was about to knock one guy out when he pulled is trigger. I raised my shield deflecting the shot, but it ricocheted and hit the second man in the leg.

The dude fell to the ground, blood pulling around him. He pressed his hand against the wound, trying to stop the bleeding.

Natasha proceeded to knock the first man unconscious, and I took out the second. As he fell, his hand hit the wall, leaving a smeared bloody handprint.

I hear a door open and I spin around. I hear Bucky yell at Percy to get down right before the original intruder shoots his gun. I lung forward to grab him, but he closes the door before I am able to.

I bang on the door and curse Tony for building the compound so well.

I turn to Natasha, "We can't get to him now."

She nods, "We just have to trust the boys can take care of themselves."

I laugh, "Let's hope."

Percy

My mind was racing. Adrenaline rushed through my body, screaming at me to run. Telling me to get out of here, yelling at me saying I wasn't safe.

I slid down against the wall and burried my head in my arms. I could tell I was shaking and I didn't care. I sensed Bucky sitting down next to me.

"Perce, who was that?" He asks cautiously. I just shake my head.

He places his hand on my shoulder, and I flinch. I hate myself for flinching. I know Bucky won't hurt me. But the man who hurt me for years is laying mere yards from me.

"Ok Percy, I understand that it's not my business. But if you are who I think you are, I know that you can handle far more than a mortal. You have killed some of the most feared monsters ever. You can handle this."

I shake my head again. "You don't understand."

"Then help me to." Bucky says calmly. "Who was that?"

I sigh and look up at him. "Are you really a son of Poseidon?"

"Yes, so was Churchill. I assume you know that Hitler was a child of Hades?" I nod.

We sat in scilence for a few minutes. It wasn't awkward, but not comfortable either.

I sigh, it's now or never. "He was my stepfather."

Bucky's head shot up, "What?"

"Gabe was my stepfather. My mom married him to protect me. His stench was so bad that it covered up my demigod smell. For a while." I told him quietly.

"Why did you freak out when you saw him?"

"Gabe wasn't the best stepfather in the world. He took advantage of my mom. He thought I was a stupid waste of money. So he beat me. He thought that beating me would give him some satisfaction. He told me that if I couldn't provide income, and I kept taking his money for school, then this is how I had to pay him. He told me that it was only fair that he beats me because of everything I've done to him." I was shaking again, I hated reliving these memories.

Bucky gripped my hand. "Percy what would he do to you?"

I look down, not wanting to meet the eyes of my brother. "Most of the time I went to private schools, so the only time I was really home was over the summer. One summer, when I was 10, he got angery. I came home late because I had been covering my mom's shift at a candy store. She was sick, but we needed the money.
"When I got home, Gabe was drunk. He was always worse when he was drunk. When I walked into the house, he threw his beer bottle at my head. My head was bleeding and I had a concussion. He walked over to me, picked me up and slammed me against the wall. He did this multiple times. I could tell that my ribs were getting bruised. After he slapped me across the face, he threw me down the hallway. The whole time he would yell at me. Telling me that I was a waste of space. After a while I started believing him. He made my life a living hell. He hated me and I hated him." I was shaking again.

"Oh my gosh Perce, I'm sorry. What did you mean when you said, 'you should be dead!'" Bucky asks me.

"My mom killed him. I had gone in a quest and killed Medusa. I sent her head to Olympus and later it was sent to mom. She put it in the fridge so when he opened it, he died." I paused, trying to collect myself, "Mom sold him to an art company. She used the money she got to buy is a new apartment."

"Percy, I promise that whatever happens, Gabe will never be able to hurt you again. I don't know how he's here, or what happened, but he won't be able to hurt you again." I should have no reason to believe this, but I trust Bucky completely.

"Bucky's right Percy, he's going away and he will never be able to hurt you or anyone else ever again." I look up to see Steve, Tony, and Natasha all standing there. Tony is there one who had just been talking.

"When did you guys come in?" I ask confused.

"Bucky let us in after you set down." Steve explains.

"And how do you know he won't hurt anyone ever again?"

"Simple, we recorded your story. And we recorded him saying he wanted to murder you." Natasha says with a smirk.

"Thank you guys. I never wanted you to find out this way. Or at all, but I'm glad I can count on you guys to be here for me." I say in a quiet viice.
"Well always be here for you." Tony tells me.