3

Josie was telling Cheryl about demos she recorded over the weekend as they were walking through the hallway. Cheryl smiled and nodded along, feeling happy since the whole David fiasco last Friday.

"Do you want me to email them to you?"

"Of course, Josie!"

"Okay, but I need your honest opinion. Don't tell me they're good just because we're friends. Be brutal."

"I'm sure they're amazing, but if they're not I will let you know."

Josie smiled. "Good! I also want Archie to include some guitar for two of the songs, but hopefully I'll run into him later. I really want to go to the lounge right now."

Cheryl nodded. "Me, too. I want chips."

"Girl, you read my mind!" They laughed together as they continued walking.

Just as they were about to go into the lounge, Archie jogged up to them and gently tugged on Cheryl's shoulder.

"Cheryl—"

"Speak of the Devil," Josie said.

"Hi Josie." He turned back to Cheryl then. "Cheryl, listen. David might be staying a little longer than I thought."

Cheryl furrowed her brows and gripped the strap of her bag tighter.

"How much longer is 'a little longer'?"

Archie looked pained suddenly. Then it turned to sympathy. "David ... he just enrolled for the semester."

Cheryl became ice cold. Her vision seemed to blur.

"Wait, who's David?" Josie's voice sounded so far away, Cheryl felt like she could hear it echo.

She didn't even register what Archie had answered, she only tried to get away. Away from them, away from David, and away from Riverdale High.

Cheryl was making her way to a bathroom, until she stopped and realized who would be giving David the tour. She started walking towards the office, only to see Betty patiently waiting outside of it.

"Betty!"

"Cheryl?"

Cheryl ran up and grabbed Betty's wrist. "Don't give the tour," she said as she started pulling Betty away.

"But Principal Weatherbee asked —"

"I don't care! I don't want you anywhere near that cretin of sin."

"Cheryl, I'm confused."

Cheryl sighed, and stopped dragging Betty. "God, Betty, how have you been Archie's friend for so long, and have never learned about his evil cousin?"

Betty raised an eyebrow. "You mean the new kid they asked me to show around is David?"

Cheryl nodded. She let go of Betty's wrist and crossed her arms over her abdomen. Earlier, she had wanted a snack, but now her stomach was churning.

"Cherry girl."

Cheryl froze and visibly gulped.

"Are you giving me my tour?" David barely even looked at Betty as he strode over to the two girls. It was like he was locking Cheryl into place with his gaze. She looked into his eyes, seeing the intensity in them, and she felt her panic build again. The principal had exited the office right behind David.

"No, I am." The girls turned to see Archie approaching from somewhere behind the Cooper girl.

"Mr. Andrews? You should be in class. Besides, Ms. Cooper is —"