13

After Veronica had asked them to leave Cheryl to her, Betty and Archie had run into David.

     "Where's Cheryl?" David asked.

     "She's in the music room, with Toni," Archie replied.

     "Shit, that's what I was afraid of."

     "What do you mean?" Betty asked.

     "I've just been keeping an eye on Toni, hoping she'd stay away from Cheryl."

     Betty crossed her arms, a look of concern falling upon her features. "Is something wrong?"

    David shrugged. "Probably not. I mean, I know Cheryl can take care of herself, but I'm still worried. Toni ... Toni knows Cheryl well and something tells me she'll use that to manipulate her."

     At this point, Archie had enough of it. He was bewildered by how Betty and David we're suddenly friends; one minute Betty wanted to sabotage his cousin, and now she's practically the only friend he has in town.

     "Do you actually care, David, or are you just upset you didn't get to her first?"

    David reeled back slightly. "Dude, what the hell is that supposed to mean?"

    Archie squared his shoulders. "You know what I mean. You're extremely possessive over her, and I think it's because you've been singling her out for your own motives."

    "Archie!" Betty snapped.

     "No, it's alright, Betty," David said, not looking at her. He was glaring at Archie instead. "Let him continue spouting his lies."

    Betty ignored David. "Archie, don't say anything else; you might regret it."

     Archie paid no attention to Betty though. "And another thing; stay away from Betty."

     "Arch, what are you—"

      "I can tell you're trying to weed your way into her good graces, and I won't just stand around to watch."

    "Is that all you see me as, Archie?" David spat. "A weed, infesting everyone's garden of life?"

    "You said it, not me."

    "Archie, stop," Betty whispered, only loud enough for him to hear, but her tone was sharp and clear. Archie looked down to see her not looking at him. Her shoulders were tense, her jaw was clenched, and her fingers were digging into her palms.

     "Betty, I—"

     "Don't," Betty snapped. She turned and walked away, tucking her wrists into her elbows as she crossed her arms. She was looking down as she walked, but she easily made her way into the Blue and Gold room.

      David took it as his cue to walk away as well, fuming to himself. Archie, feeling guilty immediately, ran after Betty and entered the room as well.

    "Betty—"

     "Archie, why did you do that?" Betty turned around to face him. Hot, silent tears were streaming down her cheeks. These were angry tears, and Archie was at fault for them. "Why did you just walk into my conversation and hover over me? And say all those nasty things to David?"

    "I wanted to protect you." Archie knew it was stupid the moment it left his lips.

      "Protect me? Archie, I'm plenty capable of taking care of myself."

    "I know —"

     "And I'm also secure enough with my dignity to ask for help, if and when I need it."