8

Content Warning: triggering topics such as sexual assault, verbal abuse, child abuse, and violence

       The speakerphone was clicked on and Betty placed the ringing phone between Veronica and herself. The two were currently at Betty's house, sitting by the fax machine in the office.

     The ringing stopped and someone picked up.

     "George Willard Preparatory School for Boys, this is Gina from the front office. What are you calling for today?"

     Betty sat forward. "Hello Gina. My name is Martha, I work at the front office at Riverdale High School. A student of yours recently transferred here, and we never received his reports. Is anyone available to fax them?"

     "I can do that. Which student are you asking for?"

     "David Andrews."

     "Can I have the fax machine number?"

     Veronica handed Betty the sticky note they wrote it down on and Betty recited it to Gina. The machine whirred instantly and the girls removed the papers. Veronica quickly flipped through the pile and mouthed that there's no counseling records.

    "Gina, I just received everything, except for his counselor's notes. It says he had regular sessions in school, but there's nothing beyond that."

    "We're not allowed to send out that information unless he plans on seeing a counselor at Riverdale High."

     Betty glanced at Veronica and Veronica nodded. "He does."

    "I can't authorize it unless I have his counselor from Willard Prep speak with the counselor that will be taking over at Riverdale High."

     "Is his counselor there available now? I can give the phone to the counselor he has been assigned to here."

    "One moment."

     Betty quickly muted it so that Gina couldn't hear their end of the line. "Are you ready to pretend to be the counselor?" she asked Veronica.

    "Yes, I'm good to go."

     "Martha?"

     Betty quickly unmuted it. "Yes, Gina?"

    "I have his counselor here."

     "Thank you, Gina."

      Someone cleared their throat on the other end of the line. "This is Dr. Patel."

    "Hi, Dr. Patel, this is Martha from the Office of Registration at Riverdale High school. A transfer student from Willard Prep expressed interest in receiving on campus counseling. He's been assigned to one of our counselor's recently. I have Dr. Brianne Soto with me to explain."

    Veronica took a deep breath. "Hello, Dr. Patel?"

    "Yes?"

     "I'd like to request any and all notes you had on David Andrews so that I may have the full scope of how to approach our first session."

    "David Andrews."

    "Yes," Veronica replied, biting her lip.

    "I'm surprised he requested counseling so soon after transferring. It took many attempts to convince him to have sessions here."

    Veronica and Betty exchanged a look. "I'm guessing he found it helpful after all."

    "I'm glad. Alright, what's the fax number?"