5

"Do you know anything about a David?"

      Betty looked up from her milkshake to peer at Veronica, who was wiping the counter down.

     "Why are you asking?"

     Veronica sighed. "Last weekend, Cheryl was here and some random guy sat at her booth. I went over to help her get rid of him, but then she freaked after calling him 'David' and ran out."

     Betty briefly remembered the way Cheryl had grabbed Archie and started yelling at him. She seemed ... frightened.

     "Yeah, actually. And he goes to school with us now."

     Veronica frowned. "Really? I hadn't seen him at school."

     Betty nodded. "I don't know what it is he's got with Cheryl, but I know he's Archie's cousin."

     Veronica blinked. "Oh, I didn't know that."

     Betty gave her a sympathetic smile. Ever since Veronica and Archie had broken up, the two hadn't really talked. Betty found herself having to always make plans with them separately, never all together.

     "Betty?"

      "Hm?"

     "I asked you a question."

      Betty shook her head. "Oh, what was it?"

      "I'm assuming he's staying with Archie and his dad. Have you seen him around?"

      Betty furrowed her brows. "Meaning?"

     "Like, does the guy seem shady?"

     Betty tilted her head. "I mean, I haven't seen him around that much, but he does seem to have some secrets."

     Veronica nodded and leaned over the counter. "Should we try to follow him and dig up his dirt?"

     "I don't think that'll help. I think he only goes to school or home. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to go see Cheryl a couple times, but otherwise he doesn't go anywhere else."

     "Hm."

     Betty nodded. Then an idea came to mind. "Well, we could ..."

      Veronica looked her up and down. "What? We could what?"

     Betty shook her head again. "No, it's a stupid idea."

      Veronica took Betty's milkshake from her. "Tell me, or you don't get it back."

     Betty raised an eyebrow. "Then I'm not paying."

     Veronica pouted and handed the milkshake back. She finished wiping the counters and then turned to start cleaning the coffee machine. Betty watched her as she worked and bit her lip, considering.

     "We could find out the name of the school he went to before and get his records."

     Veronica turned around with a smile on her face. "There's the detective Cooper I know."

     Betty sighed. "I'll ask Archie, see if he knows the school."

     "Okay. Call me once you get anything."

      Betty nodded and took a sip of her milkshake. She hadn't really wanted to snoop, especially because Cheryl told her to keep him as far away as possible. But she couldn't help it; just like Veronica, she was interested to know what kind of dirt was on this guy. She was just hoping Archie would be willing to let her sleuth around on his cousin.

* * *

     Betty found Archie in the garage, strumming on his guitar.

     "Hey, Arch."

     He turned and smiled. "Hey Betty. Come to hear me play?"

     Betty smiled. "I didn't know there'd be a concert."

     Archie shrugged. "Well, it's free."

     Betty giggled and Archie chuckled.

     "So, Betty, what's up?"

     Betty sighed. She should just come right out and ask him, no delays or small talk anymore.

     "I was thinking ... I was wondering if you knew what school David used to go to?"

      "Yeah, I do, but why does it matter?"

     "Because I was hoping to try and get his records from his school."

      Archie sighed. "Betty, I think Cheryl made it pretty clear that she didn't want us meddling."

     Betty nodded. "I know, Arch. But I'm not trying to find out what happened between them, only what brought him back. Besides, aren't you the least bit curious to know why he's here? Maybe something in his records can tell us a little bit of that."

     Archie seemed to really be considering it. He looked like he wanted to tell her no, but he was taking a long time doing so.

     Archie sighed. "Okay, but Cheryl can't find out we're doing this. And David, especially, can't."

     Betty smiled, sighing in relief. "Deal."