━━ 𝐃𝐈𝐆 𝐃𝐔𝐆 - 𝐏𝟐 ━━

||3rd Person POV||

El opens her eyes, finding herself in the familiar dark and damp setting. In the distance, she sees a bed. The covers are hanging off the mattress and grazing the water only she can see. She walks forward towards the bed cautiously, unsure if the figure lying in it is awake. As she approaches the bed she can make out more details.

The comforter is dotted with leaves and vines, intricate and faded flora in various hues sprinkle the vines, and there at the head of the bed are a few embroidered pillows that look older and handed down. The figure on the mattress is lost in sleep, her limbs splayed out in many different directions. The figure is still dressed, clothes El has seen at least once before. The girl wearing them is hugging her pillow, a small frown etched on her face as she is troubled and tired.

El is in front of her now, just at her bedside and she can't help but take note of the drying circles on her pillow where the girl had been crying.

What could have happened? And would she be making it worse if she were to wake her and share with her what she had to share? El couldn't help but wonder.

But she also knew she would want to know. And she did miss her friend terribly. After all, they were from the same place and Y/n had every right to know about her own past as much as El did.

Not waiting any longer, she reached out and laid a gentle hand on her friend's shoulder. Nothing happened and so she gently shook her. Much to her delight, Y/n moved slightly, which meant it was working. She shook again and only then did she allow herself to speak.

"Y/n? Y/n!"

Her eyes fluttered open and she caught sight of El. She peered up at her through her lashes, a groggy and confused look on her face.

"El?"

She nodded, a weak smile flickering across her lips.

"What are you doing here? Am I dreaming?"

She shook her head no.

"No. But I am real."

"I-I don't understand."

"I found my Mama."

There was a significant beat of silence as Y/n fought the losing battle with her heavy eyelids and the disbelief attempting to coax her back to sleep. "Wait... what? Y-you're saying... you found your mom? That's great," Y/n mumbled. She could feel herself slipping back under, more and more convinced her dreaming mind had conjured her friend.

Yet something within her told her to keep fighting. To tread desperately against the waves of sleep and maintain conversation with the El she was somehow seeing before her. But something about the devastating events of the previous night had left her so tired and Y/n couldn't be sure what she was seeing or hearing was real.

"There's something else." said El.

Y/n applied all the strength she could muster to keep her eyes open, they felt as if they weighed a thousand pounds. She hummed a 'what' in response, unprepared for the glint it summoned in her best friend's eye.