prayer 1

Why am I doing this?

I like to think of myself as a smart girl. I get A's in most classes, sometimes a B but nothing too dramatic. I'm usually in the top band of my classes. I've even topped a class once, that was exciting.

So, I ask myself again, why am I doing this?

"Come to the fallen tree behind your church. Where the street lamp was hit by a car and a tunnel leads to a river," I mumble to myself, reciting the instructions I was given.

A mystery girl. I still haven't been able to figure out who she is. How did she get into the room? How did she know the code? Why me?

You'll find usthere.

Who is us? Do I know them personally? Are they just messing with me from school?

Is this all a big mistake? Probably.

As I walk around the back of the church, I see the fallen tree first. It's big, really big. I never noticed it before. Suffice to say I never come back here. The tree is meters away from the church. I wonder if it fell from a storm or if it was cut down?

As I move further along the log, I notice the jagged edges of the trunk. It was cut. An axe or something similar would have had to make those marks. Something that was swung repeatedly but not accurately. Who would cut this beautiful tree down? And who would do it so close to the church where it could have possibly injured so many?

Street lamp.

I stop in my tracks as I take in the sight. About thirty meters away from the tree is a street lamp. It was obviously somehow hit by a car, but there's no indication of what it is doing out here. In the small amount of light left from the afternoon sun, you can see it flicker every other second, but it never stays on—just a constant flicker.

Moving toward the strange scene, I watch my surroundings. I know I should be a lot more worried than I am but for some reason, I'm just not. Maybe it's because I'm so close to the church, I know God will protect me? Or maybe I'm just stupid and naïve and don't realize I am walking right into a death trap.

Probably the latter.

I see the tunnel and my breath hitches. I'm here. This is the place the mystery girl said theywill be.

I look around, turning on my spot to gather my surroundings once again.

So many trees. I could get lost here if I'm not careful. I can no longer see the church clearly, only the top of the cross glimmers through the tree line. The old street lamp still flickers off in the distance, but I can clearly see the tunnel and I can hear a weird sound coming from the other side of it.

A tunnel leads to a river.

That's what the mystery girl said. Does she want me to go through it? I'm not too confident about that. Who knows what lies in the darkness?

"Ah!" I scream and jump in my spot when I hear a stick breaking behind me. My body whips around and I come face-to-face with the group from this morning.

"You're right. She's a pussy..." One of them mumbles—a guy—and I try not to take offense. I've never been called a pus—that word before.

"She's cute though. I would fuck that," another guy adds, and I feel sick to my stomach.

"Don't be so crude, Colson. She's like five years younger than you." A black-haired girl jumps in this time, scolding 'Colson'.

"Can we just get this over with?" That voice. I know that voice. I remember.