prayer 2

Six o'clock rolls around and I'm nervous.

I've never had a stranger come into my house before, especially when I'm alone.

Leo.

He came out of nowhere. Here I was thinking I wasn't going to have any more surprises from random people in my life. Boy, was I wrong? I don't know who Leo is, and I don't know what he wants. How does he know about my family, and why does he want to talk about them?

As questions fill my anxious head, a light knock on the door snaps me out of my trance. I breathe in a shaky breath still not one-hundred percent sure I should be letting a stranger into my house this late at night.

With a quick prayer to God, I get the courage to move to the front door and open it up.

There he is, in all his handsome glory. Leo is in a tight-fitting white sweatshirt, with blue ripped skinny jeans. His hands are in his pockets and as he looks up when I open the door, I notice his nervous smile.

Leo is nervous too?

"Hey," I greet in a small voice, not really knowing how to approach this situation.

"Hey..." the tall guy says back, swinging his legs a little. "Can I come in?" He asks with a light-hearted smile. I widen my eyes and suddenly realize that yes, I do have to let him in. I have to let this stranger in.

"Yeah, sure," I reply in the most casual voice I can muster.

Leo follows me into the living room, taking a seat opposite me on the couch. I watch as his eyes immediately land on the rug in the middle of the room, and a small frown is placed on his face. How much does Leo actually know?

"It's a nice place," Leo says eventually, referring to as much of the house he's seen so far.

"Thanks... it's a bit too big for just myself. But it's what I've got..." I try to say this with no worries, but it's weird. I don't really talk about my family leaving me, no less how I live alone in a house originally made for seven.

"Are you nervous too?" Leo suddenly asks out of the blue, once again giving me a soft smile. I don't know why he asked it, but I answer honestly.

"No one's been in here since..." I look over to the rug and close my eyes briefly. "It's weird inviting someone into the house. It's been so long." Leo nods in recognition, a sad look crossing his features.

"I knew, Audrey... she and I went to high school together," and there's the truth. Leo knew my older sister.

"She never mentioned you," I state honestly, never having heard of a Leo.

"Audrey and I kept our relationship on the down-low. My family didn't want me dating because they wanted me focused on education. And she said that if I couldn't tell my family, she wouldn't tell hers. She said it wasn't fair to boast about her family situation compared to mine." My eyes widen... wait a minute.

"You guys were a couple?" Leo gives me a sad look, and I can see his eyes welling up.

"I loved her." My heart beats out of my chest from the hurt in his voice. I can feel my own hurt overwhelm me. "I know she broke your heart when she left-she broke my heart when she left too." I can feel the geniuses in his voice, and I want to sympathize with him. But I still need to know how he knows. The information isn't very public.

"You said you knew about my family," I bring up his earlier statement, still not understanding the extent of it.

"I- I did a lot of research. I know so much wasn't released to the public..." Leo's tone gradually gets a little more aggressive, and I shuffle back a little on my seat, feeling a bit threatened. "I know Audrey wouldn't just kill herself for no reason!" His shout makes me almost fall of the couch, but I manage to regain my composure before I hit any floor. "I'm sorry..." Leo apologizes after seeing my face, clearly not meaning the outburst.