The Flower Dance - 15

Spring 24th, Year 1

It really wasn't going to be that big of a deal. Why would it be, right? It was just a town festival. You were going to have fun! So then why were you so nervous?

You were supposed to be out of bed already, but Captain was laying on top of you and you didn't want to wake him up. He's been a pretty good dog for the past few days, disregarding the one time he ate one of your cauliflower. You had to get up, though, because you needed to water your crops and get dressed. What does one wear to a Flower Dance? You saw the festival marked on the town calendar by Pierre's, but you thought it was just some town get-together to celebrate the spring. Your expectations about what it was were ruined when you got a letter about it in the mail yesterday. Reaching over to the dresser next to your bed, you picked up and reviewed the letter.

'Dear Y/N,

Tomorrow we're all getting together for the Flower Dance.

If you can find a partner, you might even want to participate in the dance yourself!

There's a little clearing beyond the forest west of the town where we hold the dance. Arrive between 9AM and 2PM if you're interested.

-Mayor Lewis'

What does that mean? Participate in the dance yourself? So it must be formal, then. You built up the courage to push Captain off of you, and once you did, you pulled out your laptop and opened the link Blain sent you to the Pelican Town community page.

It was a Facebook page because of course it was, with the most recent post being a silhouette of Shane and a caption about his birthday. It was a very nice picture, considering that Shane hated pictures and was more than a bit hard to work with.

Captain laid his head down on your arm, which made it harder to type and click. You asked him what he thought of the Flower Dance, and he snorted in response. Scrolling further and further down into the depths of the community page, you made it to last year's posts, and then last year's Flower Dance. There was more than just one picture- a picture of the dancers lined up together, smiling for the camera, a picture of Mayor Lewis with his arm around Marnie, a picture of the scenery and decorations. There were several comments on each of them spanning from "That's my boy!" to "You look lovely!" and so on and so forth.

The dancers were dressed in formal attire, to say the least. White dresses and flowers. Blue tuxes and bowties. But everyone else? Everyday wear. In fact, you had seen Robin in that exact shirt. Well, your mom always said to dress a little fancier than necessary (though you never listened to her), so that's what you were going to do. Much to Captain's dismay, as he was still partially on you, you got up and went to pick out an outfit.

So, what outfit? What kind of outfit would be appropriate for this dance? 'Dress a little fancier than necessary', but what would be considered necessary for you? Everyday clothes were very much below necessary even for a casual event. Your everyday clothes now were work clothes. Work clothes were dirty overalls. That's gonna be a no on the dirty overalls. So- how to dress?

Stylish. Business casual. No, not even. Business casual casual. A checkered blue and white off-the-shoulders flowy shirt, and white jean shorts. Dark blue sandals. Hair up per usual. Opal necklace and a few shiny bracelets. No earrings because you didn't have your ears pierced. Nonetheless, not too shabby.

It was only coming up on seven o'clock. It probably would have been a smart idea to water the plants before you put on white pants, but you promised to yourself that you would be extra careful.

After watering your crops, you fished until you thought it was about 9-ish. You checked the letter again to remember the specifics of where it was.

You found the entrance to the small clearing easily. It was just south of the farm, and decorated with colored streamers and such. It was very cute; there were flowers in barrels, a small pink table covered in various foods, people walking and chatting about. Pierre was selling things, of course, so you bought a small flower and stuck it in your hair. The dresses were even prettier in person, and so were the tuxes. Wouldn't it be cool to be in the dance? But who would you dance with?