Chapter 1

Alright, so a while back I wrote this fanfic called While The Parents Are Away, if you haven't read it you can check it out now... Anyway, in it I reconnected an adult Azula with the Gaang as adults and now this is the story of how Azula got to that part from her escape from the mental institution (explained in the comics).

Let's not kid ourselves, it's mostly a love story, even though I prefer writing friendship and family bonds.

The stuff happening in 134 AG is after Azula met up with the Gaang, and the rest are flashbacks. You don't have to know about the previous story, it would spoil some parts anyway.

oooooooooo

134 AG

Azula stared at the sea from the ship's deck, thinking about her childhood home she'd soon see again. It distracted her enough to allow Zuko to sneak up on her and lean on the railing next to her.

"You know, we don't have to talk." she said when she spotted him.

"Azula, I last saw you thirty years ago when you were still bound on destroying my life. Now you're back with a son and a pirate empire. I want to hear about what happened to you."

"Well, let's see... I got both the son and the empire from my husband."

"That's good. Start with that. What was he like?"

"He had impeccable taste in women." she smirked and turned back towards the sea.

"Come on, Azula, you knew my wife since we were children. We have a long journey ahead of us, just give me something."

"You really want to know that bad?"

"Yes. Just start from when you first met Zari's father."

"Well, like every great love story it starts with thievery and murder..."

oooooooooo

103 AG

D. Dull. Lacking interest or excitement.

E. Ennui. A feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement.

F. Forgettable. Fit or likely to be forgotten.

"Princess Azula! You are needed on deck!" a voice was heard from above the captain's cabin.

Azula hoped she'd at least get through half the alphabet while listing words describing her current situation. She was going to go with glum next, although it wasn't such a great fit.

"Princess! Are you coming?" the yelling seemed to be getting louder.

"Anything to kill the boredom!" Azula answered back, quickly jumping off the unfortunate captain's bed and onto the deck of the ship. Her associates helped her steal- commandeer an Earth Kingdom ship a few hours ago and the fool of a captain thought his pointy metal stick was going to be enough to take her down. Pity.

"There's a ship after us. We're not sure whose flag they're sailing under." Zirin said pointing at a still far away vessel. The girls loved sending her to talk to Azula when something had to be brought to her attention. Of all the friends she made at the institution Azula did like her the best, but she was too much of a crowd pleaser.

"This might be an unprecedented suggestion, but have you tried going faster?" Azula asked, still not seeing what they wanted her to do about it.

"I told him that, he says he can't." Zirin pointed to one of the sailors they kept alive on the ship to get them where they needed to go. None of them knew anything about sailing, but they did know how to be persuasive.