Chapter 10

134 AG

"And then Zari was born in the summer of 124, completely healthy."

"I never asked," Zuko cut in, "Why Zari? I don't remember anyone from our family tree with that name."

"Not like you'd remember if there was someone, Zuzu... But you're right. He's named after my favorite person from Fire Nation history."

"I thought you were your favorite person from Fire Nation history..." he smirked.

Azula raised an eyebrow at that and took a threatening step towards her brother.

"I'll let you have that one, because it's funny. But watch yourself." she smiled and turned back to the sea, "I named him after the best royal advisor the Fire Nation ever saw."

"Why the advisor and not the Fire Lord?" Mai asked.

"Because he is the best diplomat in living memory who conquered three cities without even a fireball, while the Fire Lord of the time sat around and drank all day." Azula explained, "Becoming parents did change us somewhat, but make no mistake, we were still just as feared."

oooooooooo

125 AG

Azula was woken up by crying, like most nights now, but that wasn't her son. During the last year she'd developed a keen sense for recognizing and reacting to his little screams and this wasn't it. Next thing she knew she was kicked right into her ribs.

It was Wen and his nightmares again. First time in a long time... He was thrashing around, sobbing and mumbling something incomprehensible. Azula tried to hold him down so he doesn't hurt himself, like she always did.

"Wen. Come on, come back to me... Wen." she didn't even have to be particularly loud, he woke up, violently sitting up ad screaming.

"Sir, Ma'am, is everything alright?" they heard through the door from their guards.

"Yes, everything is in order!" Azula answered back and started gently wiping the sweat of her husband's forehead, while he was slowly coming to his senses.

"It's not real. You're home, safe. I'm the only one that's here." she told him, trying to recall what he told her when she was a little bit out of it, "It's over."

"Did I hit you?"

"No." she lied.

He exhaled deeply and fell back onto the mattress, still trying to steady his breathing.

"I can't believe this is happening to me again, like I'm a kid."

"I can." she placed her head on his chest, "You started bloodbending again, this is what happens."

"It's not even a full moon."

"Oh, I know, love. If it was you'd be out there practicing for whatever you seem to think is coming for us, but isn't."

"I'm not preparing for one specific thing, I want to live up to my potential. I mean, what if at some point it's the only thing that can get us out of trouble alive. I'm doing it for Zari."

"Oh, are you? You know what, you're done."

"Forbidding it, are you?"

"Yes. I want you to swear to me." she said and turned so she could look at him, "Wen."

"I swear, I'm done with bloodbending."

After being satisfied with his promise, she leaned in to kiss him and closed her eyes to go back to sleep.