Chapter 11

I am very sorry for taking so long this time... Dishonor on my whole family, I know...

For those who forgot Shi is my OC too, she's supposed to be Wen's best friend/self-proclaimed sister... I do casually use her in chapters here and there.

Also some casual information for people who read only this story: In the 134 AG time Azula helped Zuko save the world, that's why her and Zari are coming back with him. Zari's 10 then. He's about 4 in the flashback.

Slight heads-up, this chapter is a note more tragic than the rest.

oooooooooo

128 AG

Azula was woken up by the sounds of swords clashing and people screaming. As soon as her mind was even a little bit conscious, the overwhelming smell of smoke made her open her eyes. The hallway was on fire and the room was probably next.

"Wen." she shook him awake and stood up.

He coughed a couple of times before realizing what was happening. He listened for the voices coming from down to hallway, while Azula already put on her shoes and his jacket.

"You wait here. I'll go get Zari." she said and disappeared into the hall.

Zari's room wasn't far away. This, highest floor, was reserved only for the three of them and usually had guards posted at the stairwell, but now, somehow they were nowhere to be found. Azula could easily calm the fire with her bending and quickly found their son still sleeping in his bed, unaware.

She woke him up gently and started putting on his jacket and shoes while he was still half-asleep, barely keeping his eyes open.

"What's going on?" the boy asked.

"We have to get out of here. I need you to hold this on your mouth, like this." she pulled his collar over his nose.

"Like this?" he tried it.

"Just like that. And breathe through it." she smiled slightly to give him the impression that she had things under control and then lifted him up in her arms. She took him back to where Wen was waiting, prepared to fight with a full pouch of water. They both knew there was no way this was just an ordinary fire caused by someone being irresponsible with candles. With so many benders around that would have been contained and solved before it reached their floor. No, this was something else. They were under some kind of attack. Unfortunately, there was no way to know what they were up against.

"Give him to me." Wen took Zari into his arms, since that was the deal they made a long time ago.

They planned for possible emergency situations and the agreement was that if only one of them could make it out with their child, Wen should be the one. Wen was far better with people, he was the one they were more likely to follow, he was an excellent father and knew healing that could help him save their son. Azula made all those arguments and many more so he had no choice but reluctantly agree.

"Any idea what we're about to walk into?" she asked.

"Benders, definitely. And a lot if they're keeping our guys so occupied." Wen said and then glanced at his son's face, "There's no reason to be worried, Zari. We got this, just three skilled warriors, having an adventure."

At that moment two men, clearly not working for them, ran up the stairs. Azula immediately jumped to fight them, trying to use the fire already in the hallway to her advantage. Wen decided she didn't need his help and turned so Zari couldn't see what she was doing.