The (not) frozen lake

The next day, Rosy went over to her house. She came back holding her ice skates. She asked Tails, Knuckles, and Sonic if they wanted to come. Tails and Knuckles nodded, but Sonic didn't want to. Tails and Knuckles then walked over to him. "Sonic, Robotnik might be there causing trouble," Knuckles said. "Besides, if he doesn't come, you don't have to skate. You can build a snowman if you want," Tails said. "Or a snowhog," Rosy smirked. Sonic's eyes widened, and he immediately grabbed a scarf, and an extra pair of white gloves. They all laughed as Sonic was tapping his foot over by the door, waiting for them to hurry up. They then all walked off, rushing over to the frozen lake. But as they were going over there, Knuckles was right. Dr. Robotnik was there, and so were Fang, Bark, and Bean. Dr. Robotnik got in his egg-mobile, and formed a huge drill on the front of it. He then went to the pond, and broke through the frozen lake, breaking all the ice! Once all the ice was gone, he shivered a bit as some of the cold water got on him. He then quickly went to Fang, and said, "Quickly! Now!" Fang nodded as he took out a device. He then threw it right in the middle of the lake, and the device sank down to the bottom. A few seconds later, steam started forming out of the lake. Dr. Robotnik chuckled evilly as he rubbed his hands together. They then all left as soon as they saw Sonic and his friends coming. When they disappeared, Rosy gasped as she ran over to the lake. "What the? Where's all the ice?!" She panicked. Tails studied the lake. Something fishy was going on. And it wasn't really just the fish in the lake. Tails dipped his tails in the lake, and nearly flinched. "Huh? What the? It's warm. Very warm," he said. Knuckles placed his hand in, and nodded. "How is the lake warm?" He asked. "Is someone trying to make a hot springs here or something?" "It can't be. It was frozen a few days ago," Rosy said. "I'll check it out," Knuckles said as he cracked his knuckles. He took a dive into the lake, and saw something glowing at the bottom. He swam down, grabbed it, and swam back up quickly. Knuckles then placed the device on the ground. "Huh? Is that some sort of heater?" Rosy asked. "It could be. There are heat waves coming out of it," Tails said. "Did Robotnik put this in the lake?" Knuckles asked. "Who cares? Get rid of it!" Rosy yelled. Sonic then immediately grabbed it, and ran away with it up a mountain. He then dropped it down a cliff, smashing it against the ground.