6. They Kissed

"They didn't seem thrilled about that," Eric said quietly, entering the car and letting the driver close the door behind him.

Draven shrugged, typing away on his phone, "It doesn't matter what they think."

Eric bit his bottom lip before saying, "They might be jealous and it doesn't help me be civil with them—"

"You came to make friends?" That was the only time Draven looked up from his phone, and Eric instantly turned his head sharply, avoiding his eyes. When he did not answer, Draven returned to his cellphone, "Thought so."

They drove for about half an hour, Draven staying on the phone the entire ride before they reached the building and then descended from the vehicle. As Eric followed Draven inside, a few pedestrians realizing whom he was and beginning to rush towards him, Draven rapidly entered the building and pulled Eric inside, the doors closing behind them.

When Draven marched forward, Eric was a bit nervous. He soon noticed the manner Eric twirled his thumbs around as he stared as the floors began courting up in the elevator, and Draven raised an eyebrow, "What's up?"

"I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do in there."

He frowned. "Nothing, I just wanted company."

He then continued to walk towards the double doors at the end of the corridor, reaching the conference room in which they both sat down, waiting for his publication agent. They watched as a large man, bulky around the shoulders with thick lenses above his dark amber eyes, and he pulled open the door to the conference room. To his feet in less than a second, Draven extended his palm, "Great to see you Alfred."

"No problem," he smiled warmly, then his eyes turned to Eric, "and this is?"

"My new editor; I came to show you the cover for this week's Midnight Ravens publication," he rapidly dismissed Eric, and Alfred examined him for a moment before focusing on Draven, who pushed forward the cover.

Alfred turned it around, eyeing all the details, from the drawing to the colouring, from the theme to the design; and soon enough, his lips turned downwards, "I don't like it."

Eric's gaze widened.

Draven seemed shocked as well, since he frowned and grabbed it back, "You don't like it?"

Alfred shook his head; Midnight Ravens was about a werewolf who was unappreciated by mankind. He became violent, and soon killed all the residents of a certain village. However, a woman approached him moments after he had killed her husband, and said that the werewolf was adorable, and embraced him warmly even with the violence he possessed. He no longer had the desire to kill, and howled, to which she did not understand, but he was expressing his love for her, and the sadness he had felt for years. When the woman was captured since people thought she had been the one to kill the entire villagers, the werewolf went to help her, murdered all her captors, only to be shot and died in her arms.

The werewolf, as he died, turned into a human. He had been human all along, but cursed under a spell, and was forced into a werewolf. The love had unbidden the spell, and he died with a smile on his face.

The chapter for this cover was the part where the werewolf met the woman, and Draven had purposely added many colours to embrace the love the chapter was to have.

That was the aspect that caused Alfred to dislike it.

"All your other covers were sombre, dark — suddenly it's all colourful with even some pink."

"That's the purpose of this chapter," Draven disagreed, "love isn't dark."

"Your story is dark by itself."