16. Chancellor's Consequences

"It's not what you think—"

"Leave me alone," Eric cried, storming from his appartement as Draven followed him down the steps.

He begged him, "At least let me explain."

"I'm done being tricked into trusting people—"

"I didn't trick you," he breathed desperately, "I like you, Eric."

"Then why didn't you tell me you were already married?" Eric turned sharply as he reached the last step. When Draven did not answer, he groaned under his breath and turned away, opening the exit door of the guiding.

Draven followed him outside, "Eric, please."

"Leave me alone—"

"Mr. Malcom!"

"Malcom!"

"Draven!"

His name was being called by different voices, and when they both turned around to determine whom had called his name, a throng of journalists swarmed them, flashing pictures and separating Eric and Draven so far apart, that Draven lost him within the throng of people. He attempted to shove those cameraman from his face, a bunch of them asking, "Are you homosexual? Are those statements true? Are you in an affair with Eric Valence?"

"Eric!" he screamed, attempting to find him as he pushed past the people that continued to follow him, not giving him any breathing space. He was unable to find him, and it was only until his own security guards came to his rescue that he was able to make way through the crowd of reporters and journalists demanded answers to questions.

He was in panic, uncertain what had occurred and whom had leaked a conversation that could have been from his office. He had no cameras, and there was no way someone would hack his phone only to record a conversation between him and Eric. He sat on his couch with his palms on his face; he needed to think.

There was not that many people that had access to his office, and the only major one being his secretary, who seemed to be in a panic with him this morning when she called him. There was not a chance it could be her, unless she was the greatest actress he has ever come across.

He sent a trembling hand through his hair; this had ruined all his plans. For one, this scandal was reaching popular news stations, and by now, most of his editors must have heard of the affair. Secondly, he was receiving calls from his other author friends who were asking him if he was alright, a few expressing their disappointment.

The worse, was when he received a voicemail from Adelina Malcom, his wife.

"You need to call me as soon as possible."

The voicemail was instantly deleted.

After a few minutes, he debated whether he should head to work. Eventually, he did, hence why he found himself on his floor, and his heart sank when he saw that half of his editors were gone. Jason was still there, Rebecca as well, but his most important ones such as Henric Thurmans, Dresmy Miller, Ackers Misser, all left. A bunch of his desks were empty, and instead of greeting the ones that were still there, he simply stormed into his office and slammed the door shut. The pre-orders of Cold Shoulder were decreasing, Eric was nowhere in sight, and he had not even a single clue what to do next.

It was only a matter of time before the Chancellor of Waterfalls Agency descended from his floor and knocked on Draven's door. Draven opened, startled by Mr. Gravers presence, and granted him entrance, closing the door behind him. He took a seat across from him, and Gravers had a tight smile on his lips; it was not going to be a good talk.

Draven waited for the Chancellor to begin.

"I am certain you have seen the news reportage about you," he began quietly, tilting his head to the side, "I can only express how disappointed I am. You are a representation of our agency, and not only will you be suffering the consequences of your own action, but as well as other authors under our company."

Draven sighed stressfully, cracking his knuckles in hopes to withhold his composure: his life was starting to experience its downfall. "Mr. Gravers, the news reportages are wrong, my wife and I are separated--"

"I spoke to Madam Malcom, you two were on a break."

"To which we agreed to find new partners—"

"Even so, it is still a scandal that reached the ears of the wrong people. I am truly disappointed but also disgusted by this behavior. Even worse, your emotions got the best of you, to appoint the lover of your affair as co-author. Have you lost your mind?"

"My feelings for Eric Valence has nothing to do with why he was appointed co-author; his editing is flawless—"

"Then his correct title should have been editor, not co-author," he snarled back, causing Draven to flinch and close his lips. Mr. Gravers shook his head with extreme disapproval on his face, "If it was not for our contract, I would have fired you from our agency before you even realized that the news reportages were made."

Draven bit his bottom lip, as he attempted to explain, "It wasn't how it seemed—"

"Take a few days off," Mr. Gravers said, but it was more of an authoritative order rather than a suggestion. He stood from his seat, "You need it, and I expect you to come back with a different attitude rather than this childish one." He exited Draven's office, and headed for the elevator.

Draven found himself drowning in alcohol, as he sloppily stomped his feet to his bedroom after spending hours spouting insults at his fridge. He had attempted to have a cute date with Eric, that was all he wanted. Except someone had been able to receive the recordings from his office, and he continued to pester his mind, attempting to remember anybody else other than Eric and his secretary that could have entered his office.

Then he remembered.

And his blood began to boil.