27

previously...

While she's inside the cell, little did she know that someone's watching her.

"I don't know how I can face you again, Officer Yoo." The stranger mumbled.

To be continued...

CHAPTER 27 — It's not the right time.

No One POV

The stranger walked away, Jeongyeon was conscious enough to hear its footsteps.

'What the—' Jeongyeon thought.

She's pretty much sure that Chaeyoung and her was the only person there. After using the restroom, Chaeyoung saw Nayeon again.

"Chaeyoung-ssi!" Nayeon called. Chaeyoung just stared at her.

"Don't look at me like that." Nayeon said.

"Oh— yeah, Nayeon-unnie?" Chaeyoung replied.

"Finally, I've been wanting to talk with you." Nayeon sighed.

"—you were drunk the last time I saw you, you thought I was... perhaps dead?" Nayeon said.

"This isn't the right time, Nayeon-unnie, Jeong-unnie's here." Chaeyoung replied then took out her calling card.

"Here's my number, let's meet at the coffee shop nearby later, okay?" Chaeyoung added.

"O-Okay, thanks." Nayeon replied.

"Now hurry! Jeongyeon-unnie's here, she might hear you." Chaeyoung said.

"Save your explanations for later, okay?" Chaeyoung added.

"Okay." Nayeon replied.

"I gotta go for now, I'll see you later." Chaeyoung said.

"Bye." Nayeon replied as she waved her hand. Chaeyoung just smiled and went upstairs.

"What took you so long?" Jeongyeon asked.

"I accidentally bumped into my co-officer downstairs." Chaeyoung said.

"Oh, nice. Let's go now?" Jeongyeon replied.

"Y-yeah, let's go." Chaeyoung said.

***

Unknown Number
Chaeyoung-ssi, this is Nayeon. I'm at the coffee shop now.

"Crap, I almost forgot." Chaeyoung mumbled then took her car keys with her.

"Where are you going?" Jeongyeon asked as she held the younger's wrists.

"Family...matters?..." Chaeyoung said.

"Okay. Can you buy me some coffee afterwards?" Jeongyeon replied.

"Sure... I need to go now..." Chaeyoung said.

Chaeyoung drove all the way to the coffee shop, Nayeon's already there based on her last message. The younger entered and saw her.

"I'll get us some drinks." Nayeon said as she stood up.

"What would you like to have?" Nayeon asked.

"Anything would be great..." Chaeyoung replied. Nayeon just nodded in response.

After few minutes, Nayeon arrived carrying a tray with two coffees and a cheesecake.

"Thank you, you can start your explanation now."

"You see, I disappeared for almost 5 years now, everybody, even my guard, Momo thought I was dead." Nayeon said.

"The day before I left the asylum, I got the chance to meet and celebrate my christmas with Jeongyeon herself. While having a conversation with her, I mentioned that I was signing up some papers."

"That is for my lawyer, Mr. Kim. he said that he wanted to help me— So I agreed because I don't really want to die yet because of murdering my parents' killer."

"I left the asylum on the next day, the day that I was supposed to be killed. I went to the court and fought for my freedom, together with Mr. Kim— Little did I know that I will be freed. We won the trial afterwards, kudos to my lawyer for helping me."

"—Mr. Kim helped me change, he sent me overseas to help me maybe grow? and find myself."

"And here I am now, afraid of telling the truth. Knowing that I'm still alive isn't part of Jeongyeon's contract with me, all she has to do before is to look for me since I'm at the death row." Nayeon said after sipping coffee.

"Oh—it's all clear to me now... but when will you say the truth?" Chaeyoung asked.

"Unnie, she misses you. a lot." Chaeyoung added.

"I'm not sure yet, Chaeyoung-ssi." Nayeon sighed.

"Maybe this isn't the right time, but I'll find a way." Nayeon added. Chaeyoung just nodded.

"Thank you for you time." Nayeon said.