The Artist {Andrew and Garrett}

I looked up as the door to my shop opened. A tall, blond man entered, looking around at the walls covered in my artwork. He paused at the one of my cat, Coco, wearing a Ravenclaw scarf. He smiled and I did too, without realizing. He had one of the prettiest smiles I'd ever seen.

I had a highschool girl doing work experience for me, and I usually let her handle serving customers to give her some experience, but this time I gently pushed past her and smiled at our customer. "How may I help, sir?".

He smiled again, his cheeks dimpling. "Hi! I hear you specialize in pet paintings?" I simply nodded, suddenly feeling shy in the presence of a handsome boy. He continued, "Well, I want to get a present for my friend Rylands birthday. I think a portrait of his dogs and cat would be perfect".

We discussed different styles and I showed him a few samples. He looked up at me from my portfolio and said "you're very talented". I felt a blush creeping onto my cheeks. Get it together, Siwicki. Most customers politely complimented my work but his serious, soft tone wasn't just polite. He meant it. And for some reason, that meant a lot to me.

I managed to act like a human being as we organized some times that I could come around to do my work. When he filled out the client form, I found out that his name was Garrett Watts and he was 29- not much older than me. As he was leaving, he paused in the door way and turned around. "You're Andrew, right?" I nodded, dumbly wondering how he knew my name before remembering that it was literally on the store sign. He flashed me that breathtaking smile once again. "See you Tuesday, Andrew".

When he was gone, I sat down, staring at the form he'd filled out. My teenage assistant, Madelyn, smiled knowingly at me. "He was cute" she said.

"Yeah, I guess".

"You'll have to pull yourself together next time you see him or you won't be able to concentrate on the painting".

I looked up, alarmed. "Was I that obvious?"

"You were staring at him with these hungry eyes. Like you wanted to devour him whole. But in a cute way".

I giggled sheepishly, blushing once again. I hoped Garrett hadn't noticed it too.

Our first meeting was scheduled for Tuesday at 10AM. Garretts friends wouldn't be home and he was going to meet me at their house so that I could begin. I got anxious and left too early, and reached their house at 9.45. Luckily Garrett was already in the driveway, leaning against a Prius. He was reading a book and didn't notice me at first. I watched him like a few moments, his hair blowing gently in the breeze, his face full of concentration. I smiled again. Feeling like a creep, I got out of my car. He looked up and then came over to help me carry my supplies. He took out his key to the house and let me in. He offered me a diet coke and then took me to see the animals. There was an orange cat called Cheeto, and two dogs, Uno and Honey. I greeted them and then observed them a little, trying to get to know them physically. It would help me bring out their personalities in the painting. I sat on a sofa and began a few rough sketches before the big painting.

I expected Garrett to go do his own thing like most clients do, but he sat a few feet away, watching me closely. I became absorbed in my work but I was always aware of him.

When my wrist began to ache, I took a break and he came over to peer at my work. He put his hand on my shoulder as he leaned over to look closer. I was startled at the warm, tingly feeling of his skin on mine and managed to spill my diet coke on the couch. We bumped heads as we both leaned over to pick up the can, and we ended up in a giggling heap on the floor. I couldn't believe I'd been so unprofessional, but Garrett was grinning hugely. "Finally, you're not being so serious. You have a nice laugh".

I helped him up, trying to play it cool, and we cleaned up our mess. We had to leave because his friends would be home soon, but I felt great anyway. I felt like I was on a cloud. I've always fallen in love too easily, but this feels different. It's like it's meant to be.

We continued to meet up for awhile, whenever his friends weren't home. The portrait progressed and Garrett seemed in awe of it. He kept saying he wanted me to paint him next, but he said it in a joking manner and I didn't know whether to get my hopes up.

The portrait was very nearly finished and I was already dreading the time when I wouldn't see Garrett anymore. I was at his friends house for our second last session, filling in some details, when it happened again. I spilt my drink all over myself. Garrett told me he'd go get something for me to change into, because my shirt was soaked. He left the room and I removed my shirt, trying to mop up some of the floor with it. A door opened behind me and I turned around, ready to take the shirt from Garrett, but it wasn't him. It was a smallish, thin man with short bristly hair. We both let out a little surprised scream and at that moment, Garrett appeared at the door with another man. Garrett looked embarrassed. "Sorry, Andrew. I didn't know they'd be home early". The man with him gasped and exclaimed "Garrett! You've been having sex with guys in our house when we've been out?" He laughed loudly and I blushed again.

"Shane! No, he's just my friend. We've been planning a surprise for you guys" Garrett said.

"A surprise that involves removing your shirt?' I guessed the smaller man was Ryland, the friend who the portrait was for. I remembered that I was still shirtless and covered myself with my arms self consciously. Garrett and I stammered, trying to explain ourselves, but we all ended up laughing. Garrett managed to make up an excuse for why I was there, so our secret painting stayed a secret. Then he walked me out to my car.

"Sorry about that. I feel a little embarrassed". He said, looking genuinely apologetic.

"It's fine Garrett. Your friends are nice".

"Yeah, they're great. Hey, I'll ask if you can come to Rylands birthday dinner. Then you can see his reaction to the portrait".

I looked down at the shirt he'd lent me, which featured a pig and the word "OMG" over and over. "I'll return the shirt next time I see you"

"No, keep it. He has an endless supply of the same shirt. Plus, it looks great on you".

------------------------------------------

I had changed outfits four times, trying to figure out what I should wear to Rylands dinner. It wasn't a fancy restaurant but I wanted to look nice for Garrett. I heard him pull up outside so I decided that I'd have to deal with whatever I had on.

He got out of the car to help me stuff the large portrait in. We shut the back door together and he suddenly gave me a hug. "Thanks for coming. You look really nice, Andrew".

My heart beat fast as we drove along. He reached over to change the radio station and let his hand brush my leg. It lingered there for a moment and I felt butterflies in my stomach. He kept his eyes on the road but I could see a smile playing on his lips.

The dinner was fun, but we hardly talked to anybody else. We sat closely together, murmuring to each other. We talked about pointless things, but it seemed like one of the best conversations I'd had. Everybody loved Rylands painting and Garrett told me he was proud of me.

 As everybody left, the two of us stood outside in the dim lights outside the restaurant. I took both his hands in mine and we stared up at each other, not saying much. We eventually found ourselves in his car again, talking softly. I don't remember a word of what was said. But nothing else mattered because he leaned over, placed his hands on my cheeks, and kissed me softly. Then he started up the car and we drove. I didn't know where we were going. I didn't care. Right then, I felt I'd go anywhere with Garrett Watts.