9. Confession

" Come on, move faster you... - Potatohead !"

Haneul and Hyunjae were laughing behind you. A traffic jam was the last thing you needed right now. You had turned thirty today, but in the last days you had been too stressed to plan anything. The only thing that cheered you up were the pictures your kids had painted for you as a present.

" Uncle Baekhyun !", Haneul shouted, and he and Hyunjae hugged him.

" Hey babies !", he said and laughed. " And happy birthday, Y/N !"

" Where are Su bin and Su Mi ?", Hyungjae asked.

" In the living room. Girls, your cousins are here !", he shouted.

" Be good, okay ? And don't stay up too long.", you said to them when you kissed them goodbye before they ran into the house.

" I'll bring them back tomorrow. How are you doing, Y/N ?", Baekhyun asked you.

" Could be better.", you said. " I love my job, but if someone deletes a whole photo file by accident it's really not funny. We need to come up with something new or it will be too late. Now all that's left is to choose between Perry the pigeon falls in love with a swan pedal and The world's longest dog tongue."

" Okay that's definitely painful. I'm sorry, Y/N. Cheer up, okay ? I feel like soon something good's gonna happen to you."

You sent a text to Xiumin before you drove back.

Y: Couldn't you have taken the kids to him today ? You know exactly what's going on at work. It's my birthday too.

No answer. You sighed. He was surely having fun on his birthday while you were busy being a parent.
Jerk.

When you came home you just wanted to take a warm shower and spend the rest of the evening in bed. You were already thinking about movies to watch when you stepped on a paper right after coming in. No, a photo. Followed by another one and another one. It was you as a baby, then as a little child. The people you met in your life started appearing. Family, friends, lovers, pets. It was the path of your whole life. You picked it all up and at the very end of the trail you found....

" Xiumin ?"

No, he wasn't there. The trail just ended. A feeling of disappointment wiped the smile off your face. You pressed the photos to your chest. Your eyes wandered around the room and stopped at something tiny. A little detail that you wouldn't have noticed if you had just been a little less careful.

" I see. The photos... are the present.", you spoke out loud.

I came to find you again and again. So if you remember the way back, when the time comes...

You went to the closet at the other side of the room and opened it.

Please come and find me.

" I wanted to surprise you !", Xiumin said a little startled.

" I saw your scarf peeking out. And really ? The closet ? That's probably the worst hiding place ever."

" Just because you're thirty doesn't mean you have to start getting mean."

" So you're spending the evening of your birthday in my closet. How long were you waiting in there ?"

" Not long enough to fall asleep."

" Usually people who find something will get a reward. "

" Very well. What do you want ?"

" My birthday present."

" Oh damn, it's your birthday today ? I completely forgot. Let's see what I can do for you..." He began searching in his bag and pulled something out.

" Is this enough ?", he asked.

It was a ring. Your wedding ring. Your eyes widened.

" You waited for me."

" Of course I waited."

" But I thought you..."

" I didn't want you to feel pressured. I wanted to give you enough time. To make sure you would be ready."

You slowly teared up and then started crying.

" You're such an Idiot. How could you make me wait so long. You're a...-"

You couldn't finish because he kissed you, muffling your sobs until you slowly calmed down and started kissing him back.

" Stop crying now... Y/N."

He slipped the ring on your finger. You looked at each other and he leaned in to kiss you again. When he pulled back you saw a single tear flowing down his face, which you wiped away.

" Only if you do."

You looked at each other and you hugged him, not letting go. Xiumin felt like his feelings for you were stronger than ever before. He loved you endlessly. And there was no way this could ever change. You kissed him a third time, quickly dragging him backwards.

„Ow...", he groaned when his head hit the wall.

„Oh, I'm sorry !", you said, and he laughed, making you smile too.

He pulled you back to him and you placed your hand on the back of his head, making sure to protect his head from the hard wall.

„Happy birthday, Xiumin."

„Happy Birthday, Y/N. I love you.", he said to you. „I love you so much."

" Please never leave me.", you said.

" I'm not going anywhere. Never again."

It was finally time to come home.

Y/N. We were struggling so much. Life kept pulling us apart. Again and again. But after all this time, you still found me. And now... I'm never letting go of you. Thank you...

My love.