Chapter 6

A forced huff of breath left Draco's lips as he closed his book. This was now the third time he had finished it. For the mot part, this was because he had really enjoyed the book, and not reading it again to find foreshadowing hidden by ignorance seemed like a crime. But there was also a small part of him that knew it was because he was scared of what he'd planned to do when he'd finished it.

On the inside cover was the italicised script of names of the students who had borrowed this particular book from the library. Or rather, name. Singular. Of course, his name was the last on the list, but apart from that, only one name had been written. Over and over.

Hermione Granger.

Draco had to admit it, it had shocked him at first. He knew Granger enjoyed reading, but for the longest time had thought her only to be interested in non-fiction books, for informational purposes only. It was a stereotypical assumption, sure, but he knew even her fellow Gryffindors would have similar ones. But he guessed he also had to thank this revelation, because without it, he wouldn't have come up with this extra plan that theoretically would make his end goal's success considerably more likely. It was just how to go about it that had him stumped. Granger was always with Potter and Weasley. He couldn't very well just go up to her and strike up a conversation with them there. It would not only look suspicious, but also likely end with a curse sent his way by Weasley before he'd even got a sentence out.

Then, one breakfast - still surrounded by the muggleborns - Draco cracked the book open again dejectedly, absent-mindedly wondering if it would work to write a note and leave it in the book for Granger to find. But he figured that relied too much on luck and routine. For one, just because Granger took the book out so frequently, didn't mean somebody else wouldn't take it out after him before she had the chance. For another, Madam Pince might find the note and dispose of it. The plan was not a good one.

Through his thinking, Draco almost managed to miss the perfect opportunity that presented itself to him, in the form of Granger leaving the Great Hall without Potter and Weasley flanking her. Draco waited anxiously for a few moments, before grabbing his thinks and following her, though being sure to make his pace leisurely so as not to make it obvious that that was what he was doing. He had to admit she walked fast though. Once out of the Hall he had to speed up considerably to catch up. Amazingly, the Gryffindor didn't hear him coming, until his footfells fell in time with hers beside her. She almost tripped in shock.

"Malfoy." she deadpanned, stopping in the middle of the corridor.

"Granger." he greeted in return, his tone much politer than hers.

This caught her off guard too.

"What do you want?"

"Well, I thought maybe... only, I took this out," he held up the book - she hadn't noticed it before, "and I saw that you're the only other person to have taken it out. You must like it."

The girl seemingly couldn't help but smile, and she nodded.

"Yes. I love it." She paused for a moment, chewing on her lip before regarding him with a careful gaze, "What did you think of it?"

Draco beamed, "Oh, I loved it too. What was your favourite part? Mine was when they found that - you know the vampire and-"

"And she'd been isolated so long she barely understood any modern advances." she nodded enthusiastically, "Yeah, I liked that - funny. However, my favourite bit was probably the part with that huge rock fall."

"But that's where one of them dies."

"Where two of them die," she corrected, "remember, because the girl was attacked, because she was trying to tell the others that the guy in the rock fall was actually innocent."

"Ah yes! Because they all thought he was a traitor. And it's really frustrating because, you know that-"

"But the characters don't!" Granger finished.

The two laughed for a moment before silence fell, and the Gryffindor seemed to realise again who she was talking to. Her smile faded, though didn't completely disappear, and Draco was thankful for that.

"I'm sorry." he apologised sheepishly.

Granger shot him a confused look, but her eyes still blazed with shock so he knew the apology was still needed. Though he had known that before the look she gave him.

"For a lot of things actually. Calling you a- a- a you-know-what. For berating your love for knowledge; it's obviously not a bad thing. Just for being a tosser basically. But I'm also sorry for coming up and randomly starting a conversation as though those things didn't need to be addressed. Common interest in a book is an interesting thing to talk about - but not so randomly to a person who would want nothing to do with me, and I wouldn't blame them."

The bushy-haired female chewed her lip contemplatively, turning over his apology in her head. Draco could only appreciate that she was giving it any real thought at all, rather than immediately brushing him off.

"You should never have called me that," she concluded, watching Draco nod solemnly, "but word has gotten around that you stood up to Pansy Parkinson about calling the muggleborns that. That's why all those Slytherin kids, from different years have been sitting around you at mealtimes, right?"

Draco nodded again, "Yeah, I guess. We don't really talk to each other, but- and they do it in our common room too."

"As far as I'm concerned, Malfoy-"

"Draco." the blonde interrupted, his tone soft, but holding conviction.

Granger nodded, "Draco. Far as I'm concerned, it's forgotten. I won't hold it against you, if you're really trying to change."

Draco could barely hold back him grin, but collected himself, and with a simple, if slightly wide, smile, held the book out to her.

"I assume you'll be wanting this."

"Can't imagine how you'd know that." Granger - or maybe Hermione was permitted now - smiled back.

Draco shrugged, "Just a hunch."

%%%

Eek this is quite short, sorry. But hope you enjoy anyway.