Chapter 8

In the next Potions class that Draco had with the Gryffindors, Draco 'accidentally' found himself in the last remaining empty seat, which happened to be next to Neville Longbottom. They were revisiting how to make a potion that Draco was particularly practiced in making, while Neville... not so much. If Draco remembered correctly, the last time they had tried this, Neville's potion was amongst the worst, with disastrous results with lasting effects.

But this time was going to be different.

Because Draco's placement had not been accidental in the slightest, and either Neville had suspected this, or was simply just rather terrified of him. Draco wasn't sure which, and not sure he cared, because his goal was to change that by the end of the lesson anyway. He let Neville fumble through the note taking, and collect the ingredients, quite clumsily under Snape's scrutinizing gaze, but before Neville could even bring the cauldron to a boil, the Slytherin stopped him.

"Look, I'm not sat here to torment you."

"You're not?" Neville raised his eyebrow, and Draco couldn't say he blamed him for being skeptical.

"No. I'm not." he repeated in reassurance, "I sat here to help you through making it. I also have a few tips that might make things a little easier for you when you're working alone."

"You're joking," Neville spluttered, "This isn't some horrible joke?"

Draco shook his head, "No, I mean it."

"I knew you'd been different lately. You know... the hair, the defiance with Snape, the muggleborns. That sort of thing. But I didn't realise-"

"I know. It's probably hard to believe, and I don't expect you to believe it right away. That's why I want to prove it. This is one way I'd like to try and do that."

And it was settled. The two got on with their potion, Draco guiding Neville, and keeping a watchful eye as he made the potion. Draco did barely anything to actually make the potion, leaving Neville to simply follow his vocal instructions. The result was a potion not quite to Draco's usual perfect standards, but it was not explosive or corrosive, and was actually just a little beyond satisfactory - though Snape would never admit that to him. Neville was so overwhelmed with relief, and pride, he didn't say a thing when Draco walked out with him at the end of class, and walked beside him until they reached the steps up to the rest of the castle.

"Neville..." he began stopping by the wall, so people could, and would pass.

The other boy turned to look at him, a little confused by the looks of it, but not at all as apprehensive and cautious as he had been at the beginning of the lesson, which was progress in Draco's eyes.

"I was wondering... without sounding too much like... well, me. I'm rather a lot better at potions than you-" Neville blushed with embarrassment at that, "-and I didn't know if maybe you think you would benefit from tutoring?"

"That's really... kind, Mal- uh, Draco. But... I doubt you'd find anyone willing to tutor me."

Draco chewed his lip, "I actually meant about giving them to you myself."

"Oh."

He raised his hands, "You don't have to say yes. I get that it might be a bit too soon for you to actually trust anything I have to say. I just thought that if I suggested it, y'know, the offer would be there and you-"

"Actually I-" Neville interrupted, "I'd really appreciate some tutoring."

"Really? I-I mean... okay! So, when do you want to start?"

"Whenever really... might be nice to get something in before our next lesson though."

Draco nodded absentmindedly, "Alright. Then how about right after classes, we meet in the library? That'll give us more time than if we did it after dinner, and-"