Be Wary

Collin

"Dude whose the broad?" I met up with some of my friends in the court yard followed by Hazel of course. She had followed me every where. It is bad enough that we are now living under one roof but must she stalk me.

I tried ditching her but she managed to find me one way or another. In the end I gave up.

"She's no one important." I took a sit next to Riley and Eva. Two of my child hood friends. We had basically done everything together and told each other things. The only thing I had kept to myself was Kara.

Though it may sound selfish of me, I don't want her to be used as some test subjects. For the first few days of knowing Kara I did some of my own research and mermaids are nothing but a folk lore. So imagine if Kara was ever found. I'm sure they would capture her and dissect her. I'll be damn if I let anything else happen to her.

"Collin, that is rude." Eva smiled at Hazel, "I'm Eva and this is Riley. What is your name?"

Hazel pulled her books closer to her chest, "Hazel, Collin's future wife?"

"Don't tell people that." I snapped, "And no way in hell am I marrying you?"

Hazel's eyes fell at my words. I know I shouldn't have snapped but I could care less.

"You and this big doofus are getting married." Riley laughed.

"No, I'd rather burn in hell." I commented.

"Awe don't be like that." Eva spoke, "But really is that true?"

"It's my father's idea." I sighed not wanting to go further into detail.

"Any way, wanna come over and play video games?" Riley asked me before turning to Hazel, "You could come too."

"If she is coming I'll pass."

"Collin, we hardly get to see you considering..."

"I have a swim meet after school." It is true, I had join the swim club. I wanted to be the best swimmer so that I can keep up with Kara. And if you swim with Kara, she is extremely fast. "Besides I'm going to see uncle afterwards."

"Can I come too?" Hazel looked hopeful. What is she hoping to achieve?  I already told her I have a girl friend.

"No." I gave out my straight answer.

*****

After my swim meet I headed straight for uncle's home. Hazel had stayed through out my meet but I was able to sneak out while being in the boy's locker room.

"So bud, your sixteenth birthday is coming up?" Uncle was looking through some species he found in the water.

I was standing in the middle of his research lab when he asked me.

"That same old thing uncle."

Turning towards me, he looked at me straight ahead. When I was small he was much taller than me, now I can finally meet his eyes, "When did you get so tall?"

"I'm almost sixteen and still growing." Uncle is the only one who gets me and doesn't annoy me.

"So how is that brother of mine. I heard you are marrying one of his friend's daughter."

"Don't remind me. Besides I have no intention of marrying her, you know that."

"I do know that very well my boy but you do not, you both come from two different places."

"I know uncle." I frowned. What ever the case, I can never truly have what I desire.

"Don't worry about it, your uncle is doing everything I can to see that she can come to you."

"And are you even close?"

Uncle looked hopeless, he wasn't even close by the looks of it. "Not yet but I won't stop until I find a solution." Uncle went back to his research, "Oh be wary of the waters and the new neighbors."

"What does that mean?"

"The new neighbors are fishermen and just the other day I seen one of them out fishing with their fishing net."

I gasped in horror. I know how fishing works though I have never fish before. Thousand of fishes die from those fishing nets and thousands get caught. Which also means lots of trash. For the past years I made sure there were no trash in the waters or wasted rubbish. I kept the beach clean after all it is Kara's home.

"As for the waters," uncle continued, "I was out the other day and there was something strange. Almost like a screeching sound that my radio had picked up."

"Of course uncle." I didn't know what he meant by that but I'm sure it is nothing.

Maybe I should have listened to him but I didn't because I never found anything strange in the years I have been in. What could possible occur in the water that I nor Kara was unaware of.

Only time will tell.

Please vote and comment