New York

Collin

Two hours, we were just sitting here for two hours. What ever we had seen hours ago was still circling us like sharks.

Erin was balled up in the corner quietly while uncle tried to get the submarine started. It seemed we had a small bit of engine problem.

As for me I sat here just staring out of the window looking for Kara. I have not seen nor heard from her and this got me worried.

If she is alive which I am hoping she is, I hope she stays away. Whatever is out there is still here.

Suddenly the engine had roared to life, "Finally." Uncle cheered.

"That's good now let's go search for Kara."

"What! Are you crazy Collin. Those things are still out there. What ever it is we have to get out of here." Erin yelled.

"But what about Kara?"

"Kara, Kara! Collin. She is a fish. She is not human...." I was now clenching my fist.  How dare she call Kara a fish. "Because of that thing we are stuck in the ocean."

"Her name is Kara." I thundered, "And no one forced you to come. So shut the fuck up and you do not get to say one word about Kara." I roared. I have never yelled at my sister like this before but her words had hurt me. So who cares if Kara is not fully human. My heart just won't go there. To me she is just Kara.

"Collin." My head whipped to my uncle, "Though I may not agree with Erin here but we have to get out of here while we still can. Those things are still out there and...."

"How many dots on your screen uncle." I interrupted.

"What?"

"Dots. How many red dots."

"Um three, still no Kara."

It was like someone had knocked the air out of me. My heart was now ramming against my chest, Kara.

"Look we will come back tomorrow when we can see better but for now...."

"It might be too late."

"No, she might already be...."

"Don't say it." I sobbed, I knew what he was going to say and I refused to believe him, "Don't you dare finished that sentence."

"Collin." Erin place a hand on my shoulder.

Just then the submarine shook harder causing us to fall, "Collin." "Erin." We yelled as we tried to stand on our two feet but we were now standing on the side of the window as it seems the submarine had tilted a bit.

"Hang on." Uncle took control trying to get the sub back on track.

Another hard bump only this time both Erin and I flew from the floor towards the ceiling.

"Erin." I yelled taking hold of her trying to shield her from the harsh impact.

I didn't know it at the time but perhaps I shouldn't have told her I would be leaving. I should have done more, probably said more to her even though she doesn't understand half of what I said. I should have build her a home in the cave safely away from whatever lurks around here.

"Collin." My eyes shut as a familiar voice called out for me. My head flew backwards still gripping Erin as it landed on the ceiling with a thud and her voice through the speaker is the last thing I hear before everything became completely black, Kara.

Erin

Holding onto Collin his grip loosen as we both fell hard, "Collin." He was crumpled next to me. "Collin, wake up." I gently shook him. "This is not funny wake up." My breathing heaved, "Uncle, it's Collin."

Turning around uncle gasped, "Hang on." In full speed we tried to get to the surface. "Check to see if he is breathing and has a pulse."

Doing as he says, Collin's chest rose up and down and his pulsed seemed strong still, "He is still breathing." Another shaken bump as I made sure Collin was safe in my arms. "Collin please wake up." I couldn't think straight.

Collin and I never had a good relationship growing up. He resented me for some strange reasons and now that we have grown closer he, he...Shit Collin please wake up.

I'm a terrible older sister if I can't even protect my baby brother.

Uncle continued to drive Maneuvering despite all the bumps and screeches. I could feel we were nearing the surface when those creatures had left us finally.

*****

"My son, what happened." Mother screamed crying as she made her way into the lobby followed by father and brother.

"We, were...." I explained to them about being in a submarine and what happened to Collin excluding the part of Kara. I know it's not Kara's fault but I can't help be mad at her. She had taken Collin away from me and if it wasn't for her Collin wouldn't be injured.

As much as I want to tell my parents about Kara they'd think I too hit my head and call me crazy.

After I was done father had that look of a crazy person. He never had showed that he cared for Collin but here he was as he stepped towards uncle punching him in the face. "This is your fault." Father yelled at uncle. "If you hadn't been in that stupid contraption then my son wouldn't be here in this hospital." Dad wanted to take another swing at him while uncle just stood there.

Jamie however held father back, "Please you people, this is a hospital not a play ground." One of the nurses came scolding us like children.

Gathering his emotions father stood before uncle, "When he wakes up I want you to stay the hell away from my son, my family."

"Dad..." I beckoned.

"And you, you are suppose to be his older sister and watch over him." He spoke lowly.

Just then Hazel came rushing in, "Where is he?" She asked worriedly.

"Still in surgery." Mother answered.

Taking a seat near mother, her and Hazel began to sobbed while I tried to sooth uncle down. After all it wasn't his fault. I don't blame him. It was Kara's fault. It's all her fault.

Three hours, that's how long we were sitting silently when a doctor in a lab coat approach us, "Collin Burnell?"

All of us then stood up, "I'm his mother please tell me how he is?"

The doctor looked at us with a stoic expression because we couldn't tell if it was good news or bad news, "We had stop a brain hemorrhage."

Mother looked shaken but smiled, "That's good that means he is alright."

"There was a few swelling in the head but...."

"But what. Tell me my boy is okay?" Father asked.

"Collin is in a coma."

"What!" This time it was Hazel.

"Are you saying my baby brother is in a coma." This came as a shock because Jamie never displayed any sort of love towards Collin aside from hatred. "You're a fucking doctor, do your job and fix him."

The doctor looked sadden by his outburst, "I'm sorry but...."

"You're sorry. If you don't do anything I'll have you fired." Father threatened.

"We are trying to do the best we can." The doctor explained.

"Listen guys, let the doctor do his job." Uncle intervene which I think was a bad idea because dad just glared at him.

"You have no right to talk. This is your fault that he is in here in the first place."

"Look we may not have the technology to further help your son but there is a doctor who specialized in coma patients."

"Good anything, where is this doctor." Mother looked hopeful.

"New York."