Limited

Collin

School has just ended and Erin and I are just now headed to the beach.  Surprisingly I was able to ditch Hazel with the help of Erin.  Perhaps sharing my secret with her isn't so bad.

But now she is going with me to the beach to see Kara.  She too wanted to see her again not that I don't mind, it's just that my alone time with Kara is limited and when I explained to Erin she understood.  So just this one time then the rest would just be me and Kara.

In her defense Erin wanted to make sure she hadn't dreamed of a mermaid and that she was real.

Nearing the beach we couldn't hear the ocean.  Rather it was filled with loud voices.  Usually this beach is empty so to find that people are now occupying this once empty beach had me worried.

As we both arrived Erin and I gasps in horror.  Sure there were people at the beach but they aren't here for swimming more like fishing as we had seen a couple of fishing boats just floating.

There were about five fishing boats on the water, each one with their own fishing nets, some were on the edge of the rocks with their fishing poles.

"Collin."  My sister tapped my shoulder.

Looking down at her with a worried expression, "I know."  Though she hadn't said anything, we both were thinking about the same thing, Kara.

Shouts were drawing our attention to a man yelling at his crew.

"Excuse me sir."  I ran up with my backpack and Erin at my side, "What are you guys doing?  I mean you can't be here fishing."

The man gawked at me before saying anything then called for a much younger boy who is a little older than me, "Can't you see we are fishing?"

"We know that but why?"

The man threw his arm around the young boy, "Last night my son saw something."

My eyes widen.  "Tell him son."

"I..." the boy's eyes began wavering like he wasn't sure what he had seen and I was afraid what he had seen.

"Last night, I saw two people here, it was dark so I can't really say..." he paused, "But." Taking out a cell phone he handed it to me and Erin.

Erin gasped, "Collin."

I know what she's thinking.  Though you couldn't see who the people are in the photo but it was definitely Erin and I and a big fin which is mostly likely belonging to Kara.

"So." I handed the phone back to him, "This picture doesn't mean a thing."  I spoke calmly trying to calm my raging heart.

"As you can see that here is a big fish.  We don't know what kind of fish it was but who ever finds such a fish will get five hundred dollar reward."

Five hundred dollars, only that.  They are here and betting on a fish that does or does not exists.

"Look, my family owns this property and you are standing on a private beach.  I want all of you off my property or we will file a law suit against all of you."  Erin spoke up.

The reason why there was no people on here is because this beach does belong to our family.

"See here little girl, you do that but by then we would have caught the fish."

Suddenly someone was yelling and cheering, "I got something."  

At that moment my heart had sped up and Erin's grip on my arm had tighten, "Collin what if..." her voice began to trail of.

"No, Kara is smart."  Running towards the commotion, one of the boats pulled up to the docks, grabbing the net full of fish my eyes quickly scanned a fin that I would recognized anywhere.

But when the fisherman dropped the net, I had relaxed knowing Kara wasn't in it once all the fish fell onto the ground.

'Ding, Ding.' My attention turned towards the buoy which was making noises and my fear only came to light as a nearby fishing boat was trying to catch whatever was in the water.

"What's happening?"  The man from earlier spoke through a walkie talkie.

"Nothing, it's just what ever it is, it is putting up a fight."

I watch the boat that was near the buoy moving side to side.

"Erin," I handed her my bag and without thinking I jumped into the water.

"Boy!"  The man yelled for me but I was already gone.

Good thing I was in swimming class otherwise I wouldn't have been able to swim as fast.

Hardly coming up for air I continued to swim until I finally came underneath that fishing boat.  My hand now gripping the fishing net as the fishes struggles to get free.

And my eyes meeting a fin that was trapped in the net and a hand trying to tug and pull on the net.

Taking out a pocket knife from my pocket of which I always carry around for emergency I began to cut the net.

You would think it would be that easy but the net was thick and strong.

A few fishes was able to get out but it wasn't big enough for Kara to get out.

After a few more cuts, I pulled Kara out gently.  Her hair danced in the water, her fin gently wrapped around me as bubbles escaped my lips.

I needed air but I couldn't go back to the surface knowing I was the cause of the fisherman to loose his catch.

Instead Kara cupped my face in her hands, her lips firmly against mine while she blew air into my mouth.

Once I was full of air, I grabbed her hand and we swam away from all the fisherman, away from all the trouble they'd bring until we came across a small cave just on the opposite side of the beach.

Finally reaching the surface I pulled myself up to sit on a sharp rock trying to catch my breath.

Hands, her hands were now grabbing hold of my legs while she placed her head on my lap.  Half her body was still submerge into the water.

"Kara."  I smiled knowing how close I was to loosing her.  I thought I would have a heart attack.  I know now that I can never be apart from her.  

My eyes turned back to the men in the distance, trying to find something that I know I would never let them get their hands on Kara.

"Look, we can't go back to the beach I mean you can't be there."

Kara just looked at me confused.  "It's dangerous."  I spoke huskily.

For now we can't go to the beach, for now I have to keep Kara safe.  She is my priority.  But for now meeting her will have to be limited.