The Talk

Erin

"Oh I am so excited.  My son and my daughter in law are home where they both belong."  Mom yelled excitedly.

After having a mini reunion down at the air port, we decided to continue this mini reunion back at home including uncle who was shock as I am at the news we just received.

And it has been a while since I had actually a decent conversation with my little brother. So the news of him and Hazel had definitely caught me off guard. After being in a coma for four months, Collin was closed off.  He became angry and temperamental for what ever reason that I remember mom flying down there just so he could get help.

Which he did and Hazel was there to comfort him.  Ever since then he only spoke a few words and it was mostly about Hazel and what she thinks is best for the both of them well mainly him.

At first I had no quarrels with Hazel.  Hell I hardly knew the girl and everything when she was living here, she was quiet and shy.  But now, Collin spoke highly of her.

"Mrs. Burnell, we had a long flight and I think Collin should rest."  Hazel firmly spoke, her tone of voice stood strong.

"Of course, and please call me mom."  Dad just nodded his head as I watch Hazel leading Collin up stairs.

"And shouldn't you be going too?"  Dad spoke coldly to uncle.

Without saying anything I watch uncle's retreating back, leave while my thoughts were of my dear little brother.

I did spoke to him a few times when he was in America but they where mostly short talks. Nothing to special. It wasn't anything big.  In fact he didn't even mention to me he had married Hazel.

I mean what about Kara.  Granted I haven't seen her in years but Collin was head over heels over her.

Turning towards my mom, "Why the hell didn't you tell me Collin married that girl?"

"We thought you knew dear."  Mom answered.

"We, does that included you Jamie?"  Jamie nodded his head.

So everyone in this house hold knew except me and of course uncle.  Why didn't I know?

"So why didn't I know?"  I was fuming.

"Sweet heart Collin told us."  Dad clarified.

Collin had told them, the family he once despise but didn't even tell me.  He didn't tell me anything. 

"What is wrong Erin?  Hazel is a nice girl..."

"Nice?"  I interrupted mom.  "Did you see her just now, she is dictating Collin's life.  Before I had no opinion about her but now I want him divorce from that bitch."

A loud smack sounded as my face had whipped to the side.  My eyes widen in shock when it came across my dad.  He hit me!  I could hear mom gasped.  "You will show some respect for your sister-in law."

"My sister-in law?  You care more about another girl than your own daughter."  If I didn't hate my family, well I do know.  "Collin is right, for one thing this family is toxic."  I remember he said that once when he was in grade school.

Just as my dad was about to take another swing at me Jamie had stopped him, "Dad.  She is your daughter and as much as you love Hazel, Collin is our brother and I will too not have someone run his life."

Never in my wildest dream would I ever imagine Jamie siding and protecting Collin against our father.

"You too Jamie.  You dare go against me.  I am your father."