Chapter 10 - Family Ties

Eric opened the door and walked out onto the front porch. Pam came to stand beside him to his right, while Tara and Alcide stood close behind at his left. Through the darkness, he could see four vampires, one female and three males, all dressed to some degree in black leather, standing at the end of the long driveway. He focused on the female vampire, no doubt, the deadliest of the four. She took the lead, walking slowly towards him, her long leather jacket flapping in the breeze behind her. Layered dark tresses cascaded over her slender shoulders. Her alabaster skin shown like polished marble under the moonlight.

She stopped about three yards from where he stood. Eric didn't move a muscle.

She took her time appraising his companions, sizing them up one by one. He noticed she barely looked at Pam; however, her sharp blue eyes lingered on Tara before moving on to Alcide then back to him.

"Hello, Brother," she said in her sultry British accent. "I came as soon as I got your message from Bill Compton."

Eric nodded. "Thank you, Nora. I know you've taken a great risk coming here."

She walked closer until they were standing inches apart.

"No need to thank me, Eric. You know that I'd do anything for you. I may be a member of the council, but our connection through Godric outweighs any loyalty I have to the Authority."

Her hands moved up his chest and linked behind his neck. She leaned forward to kiss him on the lips. He turned his head at the last second, giving her his jaw instead.

Her brows drew together. "What's with the cold shoulder? We haven't seen each other in years and I can't even get a decent kiss."

Eric glanced at Tara to gauge her reaction. She wore a frown on her face but kept quiet.

"I apologize, my dear sister. I'm a bit distracted right now. There's a lot at risk."

Nora looked towards Tara again. "Yes, I can see that. We better go. I prepared a safe house that is totally off the grid. The Authority will never find you there."

"Wait!" Alcide said. "You're one of them. How do we know this ain't a setup?"

Eric felt the corner of his lip curl. He hadn't forgotten that Alcide's negligence today had nearly cost Tara her life. Nor did he like the fact that the werewolf's affections for the woman he planned to make his eternal mate went far beyond friendship.

"She is family," Eric gritted out. "That is a sacred bond among vampires. Betraying me would be betraying herself and the memory of our Maker."

"She might be your fucking family but she ain't Tara's or mine. What's stopping her from turning Tara over to her Authority pals just so she can save your sorry ass?"

Nora made an annoyed tsking sound and crossed her arms. "What' wrong, Eric? Can't control your dog?"

Eric clenched his jaw. He always hated that condescending tone of hers.

Alcide was equally offended. He let out a low growl.

Tara stepped forward, eying Nora with suspicion. "Eric, Alcide does have a point. Are you sure we can trust her?"