Chapter 15 - Lone Wolf

Tara watched with an aching heart as Eric sat on the edge of the bed preparing to leave.

"Do you have to go now," she asked, hugging the bed sheet tighter around her bare breasts. Every cell in her body was screaming for him to stay though she knew it was an impossible request.

"It will be dawn soon," he said quietly, picking his jeans off the floor. She saw him glance at the door, his shoulders slump forward as he rested his elbows on his knees.

He turned his head to stare at her. "You know I don't want to leave you, Tara."

"Then stay just a little while longer," she urged, touching the side of his face. She searched his eyes, her soul calling out to him. "I don't' wanna be alone, Eric. Not tonight."

She swallowed, hating the desperation in her voice, but unable to hold back what she was feeling. "At least until I fall asleep...please." Her voice hitched as tears began to slide down her cheeks. The more she tried to stop herself from crying, the worse it got.

Eric dropped his jeans to the floor and put his arms around her. He rocked her like a small child, smoothing the hair from her face. "Shhh, Little Rose, I promise I will stay for as long as I can."

Her tears finally slowed. "I don't know what the hell's wrong with me?" she cried, burying her cheek against his cool, bare chest. "Why do I feel so...desperate to keep you here? It's like a part of me is being ripped away."

He continued to comb his fingers through her hair. "Our bond is getting stronger as the baby grows," he told her. "It's becoming more difficult for us to separate. It's a struggle for me to leave this room though I know dawn is approaching soon."

She raised her head to look at him then placed her palm flat against his heart. "Was that your heartbeat I heard earlier," she asked.

He smiled down at her. "It was all three of our hearts beating as one. You, me, the baby...we are all connected now. Our bond is not just through the blood; it's physical."

She pulled back to stare at him with confusion. "What does that mean?"

Eric's face grew somber. "I won't lie to you, Tara. There is a downside to us being eternal mates. Godric told me that a long period of separation could mean death for us, including our unborn child."

"Are you saying that if I left you or you left me or something was to happen to one of us then we would all die as result?"

"Eventually...yes. We feed off each other's strength. Separation makes us weaker."

"Oh, God," was the only words she could utter.

"The good thing is that the longer we are together the stronger you'll become. Your life span will be greatly increased?"

"By how much?"

"Not sure...eighty. Possibly a hundred years." He caressed her cheek and held her gaze, searching her face from head to chin. "Or I could turn you then you'd become immortal...like me."

She tore her gaze away from his. "You know I could never do that."

"Yes, I know," he said, his voice thick with disappointment. "I guess we don't have that much time left together, do we?"

"A hundred years is a lot of time for a human," Tara said.

Eric gently captured her chin, turning her back to look at him. "Not for a vampire. That is why I cherish every moment we are together."

His eyes grew dark, a lustful smile spread across his face. He got to his knees and cut a slit above his right nipple with his fingernail.

"Before I go, want you to drink from me."