Chapter 12 - Friend or Foe

Tara heard the bedroom door open and close, followed by the sound of heels clicking on the hardwood floor. Turning on her side, she pulled the blanket over her head, bending her knees closer under her protruding belly.

The intruder let out an annoyed sigh.

"What do you want, Pam?" Tara mumbled, not bothering to lift her head from her pillow.

"I thought I should check on you?"

Tara poked her head from under the blanket to glare at her. "Why? It's not like you give a shit."

Pam held out her hand, inspecting her manicured nails. "True," she said without a hint of remorse.

"Then why the hell are you bothering me?"

"Eric is out wallowing in self-pity, Alcide is held up in his room, refusing to come out, and I'm bored."

Tara rolled her eyes, adjusting her pillow. "Do I look like I care? Just leave me the fuck alone."

Pam ignored her and sat down on the edge of the bed by Tara's feet.

"Look, I don't like you and you don't like me-".

"Hmm, I wonder why that is, Pam? Could it be because you're a total bitch and you tried to kill me on more than one occasion?"

Pam tilted her head slightly, a ghost of a smile playing across her lips. "You and your Wiccan buddies fucked up my face, but that's all blood under the bridge, right? I think we're beyond that now, don't you?"

"No, not really," Tara deadpanned, before cutting her eyes away.

"Anyway, despite how much of an annoying bitch you can be, I think we both can agree that Eric..is..." Her voice trailed off suddenly.

Tara sat up, folding her arms in front of her. A sharp pain shot up her back and she grimaced. "What about Eric?"

"He's out of sorts. He's not at his best when it comes to making decisions when he's...preoccupied. The last time Eric behaved this way, he was under a spell, but with you he's...different."

Tara's face flushed with anger. "If he's so different than why did he let his sister brain fuck me to satisfy his own selfish need. Sounds like the same old manipulative Eric to me."

Pam looked uncomfortable for a moment. "He's sorry about that, so am I. Eric would not have done it he didn't think it was absolutely necessary, at least not to you."

Tara glared at her for a minute longer. She'd never seen Pam look contrite before and it made her suspicious. There was no love lost between them, that's for sure. She knew that Pam couldn't care less if she lived or died. Hell, a couple of weeks ago Pam was trying to turn her into a happy meal. The fact that she was sitting here, trying to convince her she was sorry that Eric had betrayed her trust was almost laughable.

Tara raised a brow at her. "Why are you all of sudden being nice to me?"

"Eric told me you were different and for some reason, I believe it. You obviously mean more to him than that half-breed fairy or he wouldn't have commanded me to protect you with my life. He didn't even ask me to do that when he thought Russell Edgington wanted to drain the bitch. If I don't learn to at least be civil to you, I'm afraid I might lose him for good this time."