CHAPTER TWO - THE BREAKFAST

Tuesday, 30th October 1956 || Tuesday, 3rd September 1940

I heard children laughing and energetically talking. I was confused, I don't have any brothers or sisters, where could it come from? Then I remembered, I wasn't at a place I used to call home, I was at Miss Peregrine's house.

I pushed my blanket and it fell on the floor. It was cold. The shivers were running up my spine and i wasn't wearing anything except my thin silk night-gown. It was my favourite, because it used to belong to my mother. It was crème white and it had lace at the end of the gown. It was silky and soft to the touch. Most importantly it felt like a hug.

I stepped on the dark floor, it wasn't as cold as I thought it would be. I put the blanket back on the bed and made my way to the dresser. When I opened first drawer, it was full of socks. Lacy, white, plain, dark, you name it, it was there. I took out my usual lacy white ankle socks and put them on. Now the floor wasn't so cold anymore.

Next to the dresser was small closet type of thing, where all my dresses were hanging. I was really liking the light blush pink dress with white collar. It had short sleeves and was defined at the waist. I took my night-gown off and put the dress on.

For the hair, I didn't want to do anything too special. I just brushed my hair with my ivory hairbrush. When all the knots were gone, I put my hair up with some bobby pins.

A flower was laying in the drawer. I took it. It wasn't real, I didn't know how it got there but it must have been stuck on my dress and when i took the dress, it came too. I liked the flower so I put it somewhere in my hair. It wasn't noticeable, but it added a bit more elegance to my appearance.

I was ready. Well, almost ready. A watch was sitting on a night stand. I took it and put it on my hand. My father had gifted it for my 11th birthday and I had kept it very carefully. I looked down at the watch. 7.26 am. I remember Miss Peregrine saying something about breakfast at seven-thirty. I quickly took out black flats out of my suitcase, put them on and stepped out of my room.

The hallway looked even more beautiful in the daylight. The dark brown oak doors seemed to glow and looked intimidating. On the other side of the hallway was a stair case. It was majestic but not even that big. As I stepped on the stair, everything went quiet. I continued going down the stairs. Soon the chattering returned. I stepped on the floor at the end of the staircase. I was facing three doors. One of them had to be the dining room. I observed the doors and decided that I would go with the one where the most noise came from. I stepped behind the door and knocked. As I opened the door, everybody grew quiet again and I felt everybody's eyes on me.

I smiled shyly. Suddenly I heard someone think: she looks like a pretty princess. It was the little girl from my dream. I smiled again as I felt my cheeks get hot and blush creeping up my neck.
Miss Peregrine broke the silence and said: "Mrs. Allerton, please sit down and join our breakfast."

I looked at the table. Only spear space left was next to the boy from the dream, who I believe was called Enoch. I made my way over there and as I started to sit down I heard him thinking: why does she have to sit here? can't she sit somewhere else?
I sat down and whispered: "I'm sorry that me sitting here disturbs you. I would sit somewhere else but every other seat is taken, so this is my last chance to sit."
The boy looked surprised, then his face started to get red. He was intensely staring at me. When I turned my face to him he looked bit angry and turned at his food.
I looked up and everybody was watching at me, as soon as my eyes met theirs they turned away quickly and Miss Peregrine said: "Children, this is Dorothea Allerton. She will be staying with us from now on. Please introduce yourself."