CHAPTER FIVE - THE TENSION

Wednesday, 31st October 1956 || Tuesday, 3rd September 1940  

I woke up. The room was dark and the sun hadn't rose yet. I looked my watch, what was sitting on my nightstand. It showed that it was only five forty-seven in the morning. Stepped out of my bed. When my feet touched the cold wooden floor, a couple of shivers went up my spine. I stood up and made my way to the closet. I opened it and took out my lavender night robe. It was made out of silk and was very soft to the touch. It had lace going down the shoulders. The buttons were also made out of the same lavender silky material.

I put it on and tied my hair in a knot. I didn't bother to change, yet, because it was so early and i thought nobody was up yet. And also I liked being scandalous occasionally. Made my way to the door and opened it quietly. The hallway was empty. I stepped out and felt happiness. I didn't know why, but I liked being alone. Stepping down the huge staircase, trying to avoid the creaky steps. I really didn't want to wake anybody up. Mostly because it was so early, but a little bit because I wanted to cherish my alone time. When I reached the end, walked through another empty hallway straight into the kitchen.

The kitchen looked delightful. I had always enjoyed cooking especially baking because I was pretty good at it and it helped making people happy. I had always wanted to make people happy. I couldn't stand when somebody was sad but sometimes, okay most of the time I wasn't as happy as I seemed. I didn't know what it was. It was just kind of seed of sadness that had planted in me when I turned about twelve. Over time it had grown into a tree. Sometimes I forgot about that, like when I was with children. They made me feel like my tree was starting to bloom instead of just shriveling.

I took a tea-pot from the shelf and filled it with water. I had to figure out how the stove worked, because I couldn't just boil the water with my bare hands, like Olive. Once I got the stove hot, I put the pot to boil and started looking for coffee inside of the cabinets.  A porcelain jar came into my sight. The jar looked so dainty, it was covered with most beautiful art work. It was covered with flowers, nature motives and leaves. I picked it up and opened it. A strong coffee aroma filled my nostrils and I breathed in.  The tea-pot started whistling quietly to notify that the water was ready and boiled. I took a cup from the shelf and put some of the instant coffee from the porcelain jar, at the bottom of the cup. Then I carefully took the water and poured it in the cup. The whole room was filled with delight coffee aroma. I was standing quietly, watching out of the window, when I heard a rusty voice with thick Scottish accent say: "Mind making me a one?" I turned around to see who asked that but I already knew. Who else would it be. I turned around and saw Enoch. "Sure," I said walking back to the kettle. Then I remembered that I wasn't wearing anything but my nightgown and robe. I quickly turned around and covered myself with my hands. Enoch watched me with a funny stare. I said: "Turn around, now." He had a small grin on his face but he did as I said.

I took another cup from the shelf and put some coffee at the bottom of the cup. I filled it with hot water and turned around to give it to Enoch. When I turned around I saw he was facing me. I forced the cup into his hands, smacked his arm and called him perv. Then I left the kitchen and walked back to my room, leaving him wondering in the kitchen.

I changed my clothes that this kind of incident wouldn't repeat. I wore a button front, midi length dress with a high neckline, a fitted waist and cap sleeves. It was darker green color, almost forest green. It had small white daisies all over it. The material was  lightweight drapey crepe fabric.

I combed my hair and braided it. I ran my fingers through my hair to untangle any knots that were left behind. I braided two french braids and finished them with green satin ribbon. 

I opened first drawer of my dresser, where I kept all my socks. I picked out a pair of white ankle length socks with some lace at the end. Then I walked to my closet and picked out also white ballet pumps   with a block heel. It had a slightly pointed silhouette with a covered toe and heel. I quickly took a glance at my watch as I put it on. It was six thirty, I had plenty of time until the breakfast, so I decided to explore the house a little.

I walked out of my room. Headed down the stairs and started exploring. First door was dining room, next to the dining room was kitchen and next to that was living room. Inside the living room were two velvet couches. The fireplace was already died. I noticed a piano at the corner of the room, which I hadn't noticed before. I walked to the piano and sled my fingers over the tiles. I pulled out the small chair behind the piano and sat down. I started quietly pushing down the keys and before I even knew I was subconsciously playing: "Nocturne Op. 9 No. 22" 

It had always been one of my favourites

It had always been one of my favourites. When I finished I heard quiet clapping, I turned around and saw Enoch standing at the door frame clapping. I turned bright red because I was embarrassed about my playing, I hadn't played for a long time and I did many mistakes. He just stood there and watched me, which made me go even more red. "What are you doing here?! I asked trying to break the silence, don't get it wrong it wasn't awkward, I just didn't enjoy the attention I was getting. "I just heard somebody playing and came to check it out. Nobody has touched that piano for about sixty years but I suspect that Miss Peregrine has been tuning it. What are you doing here?" he answered me. I thought for a second and told him: "I was just exploring the house but saw the piano and had to play it." He nodded understandingly and purposed: "If you want, I could show you the house." I nodded and followed him as he left the room.

He walked led me to a door I hadn't seen before. It was made out of dark wood, like all the other doors in the house. Enoch opened it carefully trying not to wake others if it creaked. Behind the door was a big well-lighted room. It was filled with books and bookcases and reminded me a huge maze. I loved it. I had always liked to read but hadn't had many chances to do so. I stepped over the doorstep. My toe got stuck to the doorstep and I stumbled. Put my hands over my face, waiting my body to make contact with the hard floor. But it never happened. I opened my eyes which I didn't know I had closed. My eyes met the most beautiful pair of dark brown eyes. They were covered with golden specs and looked like two pools of the most precious honey. I could have drowned in them and I wanted to get lost in them. Then I realized that they belonged to somebody, Enoch. I suddenly became very aware of two hands around my wast and the dark eyes staring into my soul. 

I started blushing and when he noticed that, he smirked down on me, very aware of how little space was between us. 

A/N: I love you guys, 100 reads that's amazing, it's more than I had ever imagined. Because of that I will write two chapters this weekend. I love leaving you hanging from the cliffhangers. Bye, bye!

-Lis<3