t o l v

"I hope you realise how much you're hurting me someday"

|Φ|

A groan left my mouth as I woke up from the massive pain pounding in my head. Concerned voices filled the room as I opened my mouth, seeing my parents' faces hovering above me for the first time.

"Mother? Father?", I questioned, wanting to see if I wasn't hallucinating. My mother choked in a sob before squeezing me in a tight hug. I winced slightly before managing to wrap my arms around her body, inhaling her familiar fragrance as a tear rolled down my face.

Poseidon, I miss her.

"Oh, sweetie, I'm glad you're alright. We were so worried about you. Why did you leave?", Mother asked me as she pulled away to caress my face gently. My eyes closed in bliss when a familiar set of crystallising eyes flashed behind my eyelids. I flinched at the memory, my head hanging low to cover my face from their view.

I looked at my hands, tracing every scratch and splinter as I answered her truthfully.

"I'm just-I'm tired of this life, Mother. The preppy, pink, princess life where everything has to be controlled and proper. I'm tired of looking at myself and thinking about how a princess must act. I wanted to feel free, to love someone with true love just like you and not someone I barely know."

The confession made me feel lighter. The atmosphere was filled with tension and silence, but I can feel the relief raging through my veins. Finally, I was able to express myself. Tears brimmed in my eyes when suddenly, Father sat on a chair beside my bed before engulfing my hand in his.

"We are sorry for pressuring you, Erina. If we had known that this was going to happen, we would not have pursued the marriage with Prince Chad.", Father said, his eyes staring into mine solemnly. Regret was swirling in his irises as he waited for my response. I smiled at him tearfully, chuckling a little before pulling him in for a hug. My eyes met Mother before she stepped closer and embraced us with her comforting scent as my eyes wandered back to the window. The smile on my face faltered as I observed the Isle. I closed my eyes, letting a few tears fall by before pulling back.

"Don't worry dear. The marriage will be cancelled and-"

"No!", I shouted abruptly, cutting my mother off. I stared at her surprised expression before taking a deep breath. She went to stand beside Father who had confusion written on his face, placing his arm around her.

"I- I want to pursue the wedding. I-I think I'm ready, Mother.", I continued softly, my voice fading into a whisper as I gazed into Mother's eyes. Father stood up beside her as they looked at each other, contemplating what they wanted to say. They both looked at me as I waited impatiently for them.

"Alright, dear. But I'm afraid the wedding with Prince Chad was cancelled long ago.", Mother stated, letting me process the information. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"Yes, he–uh-managed to capture the hand of Princess Audrey, Daughter of Queen Aurora." Father continued on, looking from my mother to me expectantly, before clearing his throat at the tense silence that seemed to envelop the atmosphere. My eyebrows shot up in bemusement as I imagined the narcissist prince with the arrogant princess.

Good match.

"But, who will I be married to if Prince Chad is unavailable?", I asked them as my gaze turned back to the Isle. Their voices faded into whispers as a series of memories flashed through my mind. My hands moved towards the small necklace in my chest, clutching the small pendant shaped like a hook as I sigh heavily.

"Erina, are you listening, dear?", my head snapped towards them sheepishly, letting go of the pendant as I scratched my neck. Nodding my head, I gestured for Mother to continue.

"As I was saying, we have chosen one fine Prince which I know you would find to your liking.", Mother finished as I stared at them blankly, waiting for her revelation.

"Who is he?", I questioned absentmindedly, my fingers playing with every strand of my long raven hair. My parents looked at each other affirmatively before a wide grin spread across their faces, sending a series of doubts and a glint of fear coursing through my spine at the unknown man.

"Prince Jaidin, son of Queen Jasmine and King Aladdin."

|Φ|

Edited [06/14/22]