CHAPTER SEVEN

IT WAS A WEEK BEFORE Mazeeda woke up and found a middle aged woman sitting next to her

IT WAS A WEEK BEFORE Mazeeda woke up and found a middle aged woman sitting next to her. The queen sat up in her cushioned seat, frightened and surprised. She had gotten use to Adelah and Nylah.

The woman offered a warm cup of black tea.

She took it cautiously.

“Do you sleep on this long furniture often?” The elderly women asked. Her forehead created the slightest wrinkle, like the ripples in the sand. Her skin nearly matched Mazeeda’s.

The dress she wore suggested that this mixed age woman was of high authority. It was a simple nude dress with white embroidered flowers at the hems.

“No,” her voice cracked before she coughed it out. “But the bed does not suit me at the moment.”

She thought back to that night where Khai's strong hands wrapped around her neck. His nails digging into her skin. The burning sensation that formed during and after the incident.

The Caliph hasn't come into her room since.

The bruise was finally disappearing with the help of Adelah’s special ointment.

The older lady did not question Mazeeda and she appreciated it. “Who are you, if I may ask?”

The lady smiled sadly at her, her hazel eyes catching the light effortlessly. “Well, it seems like the bill has come due to finally meet my grandson's wife. I can't keep avoiding such a thing now that it's been a week.”

Mazeeda didn't know how to react, just like when she was younger. She was helping Sokath feed the herd of sheep when out came a lioness. She was about to scare it off when her brother stopped her.

He had told her, “Let the lioness do what she wants with the herd, but never, never the lion. Do you hear me, Zeeda?”

She nodded out of instinct as she watched the lioness prey on the herd.

“Because the lioness are the ones who hunt for their pride, so let them be. But if a lion were to come, scare it off.”

Mazeeda fumbled with her words. “My lady. My queen. My-”

The senior laughed. “Oh no need for that, I'm too old. Ezra is my name. I would like to have lunch with you this evening. I'd like to get to know you and see why my grandson is so intrigued by you to keep you alive.”

“Oh, of course.” The storyteller didn't know if she should be offended or not.

Ezra clasped her wrinkled hands together. “Very well. I look forward to it.”

Upon meeting Khai's grandmother, Adelah braided Mazeeda’s hair into a perfect crown while Nylah picked out a refined silver dress with gold embroidering. A black sash went around her hips, wrapped tightly like an anaconda.