CHAPTER TWENT-FOUR

YUSUF AND HIS ENTIRE VILLAGE began to worry for Sokath

YUSUF AND HIS ENTIRE VILLAGE began to worry for Sokath. Days had stretched into weeks and there was no sign from the burning sand nor sun that his son would return. He did not want to fear the worst. Losing his only daughter was enough, but losing his strongest son would surely be the tipping point. Yusuf was an hourglass, the last grains falling before he had to shatter.

His eyes did not squint as he looked at the rising sun, his irises used to the warm and bright glow. It would take more than the burning ferno to make him turn away.

As he inhaled the sand filled air, he realised what to do. Yusuf had to travel to Yaheisea with his army behind him. As he exhaled, he felt a firm hand on his shoulder.

The traveler turned to see his wife, pale and thin, her brown eyes strong and powerful. Then, he remembered why he fell in love with Jada.

"Have faith in your son," she crafted out carefully, "and have hope that he will execute his plan."

Yusuf's hand went on top of Jada's. "But what if he needs help or finds himself in danger? What if the Caliph-"

She closed her eyes, shaking her head at the sun. "Maybe it's because Zeeda is the oldest, and perhaps it's the fact that Sokath is the second oldest, but I always knew you favored her far more than the rest. He never had the love of a father you gave to our daughter, nor the support. So please, just this once, let him make you proud by avenging Mazeeda and the thousands before her."

"No, I-"

"We will wait for his signal just as we promised, yes?"

Yusuf simply pulled away from Jada and walked away without a single word.

THE FALLING SUN BEHIND THE sand dunes turned everything it touched gold. Sunsets in Yaheisea were the most beautiful in all the four lands, something the Caliph used to take great pride over. Now, he favored the moon much more.

That didn't matter to Sokath, not when he had all the intentions to end the king's reign and everything and everyone that followed suit blindly. 

Zaid was slowed to a stop as the Malika's oldest brother dismounted his horse, running his calloused palm along the female's neck. He made camp right out of the lively city life.