CHAPTER NINETEEN

HE KNEW HE MISSED THE Caliph's heart

HE KNEW HE MISSED THE Caliph's heart. He watched as it impaled into his back, as he clung to his sister for support.

Sokath could have sworn she saw Zeeda look his way --it was only for a split second, but it was enough for him to know.

He climbed off the qasr roof when three men carried the Caliph away. He knew that even though his arrow did not hit the intended organ, the poison would do the work.

He didn't want a dirty and chaotic war over Zeeda who he presumed was dead. But seeing her alive in the flesh with her murderous husband changed the entire game.

If she was alive, then was there even a point for war now?

Sokath shook the dubious thought out of his head. They would do him no good, it would only bring him death.

Swiftly and ever so quietly did he slide into the night and walked away without a single look back.

BEYOND THE DOUBLE DOORS, KHAI'S screams could be heard. It was a wretched sound to hear, each one louder and more excoriating than the last. The worst part was his desperate screams for Mazeeda.

The four of then were all on edge. Zaabit was pacing back in forth in the massive hallway. Sinbad's hair was unusually messy from his constant hands running through then as he leaned against the wall.

Ezra sat on the cushioned bench, tapping her foot rapidly as she was sewing. Mazeeda stood in front of Khai's door, biting her nail fervently. Her eyes have memorized every carving and crack on his door.

Everyone was quiet, wanting to hear the hushed voices of the physicians on the other side of the door. They were all tiresome from the hours they've stayed up for any news to come about their Caliph. Nothing so far.

Soft clicks of heels echoed around the hallway before getting louder with each second. Everyone turned their heads, their breaths ceased to a halt.

The silence was so deafening that a single noise would shatter it all.

Amon emerged, breathless. “I came as soon as Sonya fell asleep. Any news yet?” He took a seat next to his mother, who looked up at her son with a small smile.