CHAPTER EIGHT

AT THE END OF THE long bush was an opening, where the masculine figure came out of

AT THE END OF THE long bush was an opening, where the masculine figure came out of. His dark skin was complimented well by the raging sun.

That isn't Khai, Mazeeda realized. Her husband's body was not built to that extent, instead it was lean and fit. And his skin was not that dark from years of forgotten hunting.

It was Amon's.

She looked at Sonya then, really studied her this time, and realized that Amon and Khai must share the same strong chin and chiseled face. Her eyes were hazel and her lips full, nothing like the Caliph.

A sigh of relief came out of her as Amon hauled to a stop. Mazeeda was anxious for no reason at all. But at the same time, she didn't know what she'd do if it was Khai's kid.

After all, he has a mysterious mistress.

“Malika,” Amon said, bowing slightly. He turned to Ezra. “Mother.”

“My son, what trouble are you stirring this time with my Sonya.” A small tease so the late queen would see that smile she adored from him.

He bursted into a laugh, bringing a small smile to Mazeeda's face. “I'm sorry, but your granddaughter insisted it no matter how much I've tried to persuade her to chose the shamshir over archery. I'm much better at wielding swords than a mundane bow.”

“I beg to differ,” the Malika finally spoke.

Amon’s eyebrows shot up in amusement. “Do you, my queen?”

She looked at Sonya before looking back at the Caliph’s carver. “I speak of experience. Back in Evalli, my brother Sokath was a great archer, and so he taught me.”

The child gasped in elation. “You must show me, Malika.”

Her father stuck out his hardened hand ushering her to him. She took it. “You do not have to if you are busy.”

Mazeeda looked at her grandmother-in-law for permission.

“Oh, don't let me stop you.”

It's been so long since the queen held a bow in her hands, let alone show off her skills in front of Khai's family. She never felt as much nervousness as she did now.

When they crossed to the other side of the garden, Mazeeda's eyes immediately fell onto the rack where numerous recurve bows sat in its glory.

Amon stood besides her, Sonya and Ezra still catching up. “Please. Go ahead and choose one that suits you.”

Something tugged at the Calipha as she made her way to the rack until her hand fell onto the upper limb of the bow. She ran her finger down its massive length, amazed by how polished and sturdy it felt just by a simple touch.

Bashfully, Mazeeda picked up the bow, examining the intricate designs against the dark texture. The wood was a dark shade of the night sky with carvings that looked like henna. She wondered if the swirls and design meant something.