CHAPTER TWENTY

“THE STORY BEGINS WITH THE moon high in the night sky, and below it was the sun warrior and moon priestess

“THE STORY BEGINS WITH THE moon high in the night sky, and below it was the sun warrior and moon priestess. The party continued on before them, but Leila was too curious about the masked man standing in front of her.

‘Thank me? What for?’

Shairk turned his head to the side, baffled and somewhat embarrassed to think she would recognize him. Especially not when he was dressed up like this. He damned the sun and stars. He cursed at Saadulah for not stopping him before he went too far.

Leila tipped her head to the side to get a better glimpse of his masked face. She found nothing but his blazing eyes. She brought her hand to his cheek and turned his face so he can look at her. ‘Who are you?’

The warrior put his hand over hers and pushed it down. ‘If you were to know me, you would never touch me the way you just did.’

The priestess frowned and removed her mask.

Sharik sucked in his breath. Her eyes gleamed silver just like the moon. Seeing her outside of the battlefields was a foreign, beautiful sight.

When the man said nothing, Leila stepped up the him. ‘Tell me who you are before thanking me.’

If this was going to kill him, so be it. Sharik opened his mouth. ‘I-’

‘Leila!’

They both turned at her name. Hasan beckoned to her, clearly drunk and out of his mind. He waved his hands around, wanting get her to approach him.

‘Leila, come!’

‘Go,’ Sharik told her, knowing very well that she couldn't disobey anything.

‘But-’

He shook his head, a brown strand of hair falling over his moon mask. ‘Go. Don't worry about me, I'm not important.’

She was conflicted, stuck between defying her brother and staying with this stranger she barely knew. Gods, what his gold eyes could do to her. ‘I want to see you again,’ she urged.

He chuckled, shaking his head. ‘I already did what I came here to do. Forget about me and have fun tonight.’

‘Why thank me then? Why go through all the trouble if you refuse to give me an explanation?’ She searched his eyes, wanting to peel away that mask that covered his face. She wanted to know what was behind it.

‘Leila,’ he purred out, his voice with such smoothness the darkness would never be able to compare to it. ‘How do you know if I'm a cruel murderer? Sent here to kill you?’

‘Leila!’ Her brother called out again.

The priestess sighed. ‘You would have done so already. But something tells me to trust you.’

Gods, that was going to get her killed one day. He never trusted his guts; he trusted his mind and eyes, not his heart. ‘I refuse to see you again.’ Sharik was such a horrible liar, especially with his heart beginning to race.