CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

MAZEEDA WATCHED FROM AFAR AS Amon, Sinbad, and the late queen bombarded her husband with questions

MAZEEDA WATCHED FROM AFAR AS Amon, Sinbad, and the late queen bombarded her husband with questions. Sonya was perched onto his lap, arms waving everywhere as she explained her day to him. Zaabit brooded against the farthest wall.

She smiled at the sight.

“Well?” Sinbad insisted.

Khai had such little patience for all of them at the moment, except for his grandmother and cousin of course. He caught the storyteller's lingering eyes, he threw her a questioning brow her way.

Are you okay? it seemed to ask.

She simply shook her head, smiling.

“Well?” The voyager repeated.

The king huffed out a breath, turning his attention back. “Well what?”

Sinbad placed his hands on his hip. “How are you feeling? You've been dodging that question since we entered.”

Khai rubbed his temples. “Tell me, exactly, why you are still here and not on your boat sailing far away from here?”

“There you go again, dodging my question.”

“Sinbad,” Amon said coolly, softly even, “leave it alone. He may not want to admit it, but we all know how much pain he is in.”

The voyager rolled his eyes, offended. “A pain in my ass is what he is.”

The Malik leaned back against the headboard, caressing Sonya's head. “Oh yes, indeed. Then you must be the reason why I have this pounding headache.”

From the corner of Mazeeda's eyes, she saw Amon covering his face with his hands. At first, she thought it was because he lost all patience for the two men as well. But then she realised he was trying to cover up his growing laugh.

Ezra quietly got up from the cushioned seat she sat on and walked up to her nephew. She bent down to kiss his forehead before whispering into his ear, “I will talk with you later. Take care of yourself.”

Once she straightened up, she nodded at everyone in the room before taking her leave, the door shutting softly behind her.

The Caliph's uncle beckoned his daughter to him, in which she shook her head stubbornly. Sighing, he said, “Are we to ignore the elephant in the room?”

Sinbad crossed his arms and sat at the edge of the bed. “Who? Mazeeda?”

Amon pointed across the room to a figure leaning against the wall quietly. “Of course not, I meant Zaabit.”

Everyone turned their heads to Khai's right hand man.

Zaabit raised a thin brow. “Oh, don't mind me. I'm just simply here to watch you guys make a fool of yourselves.”