3. The First Fall

Maybe I should have learnt my lesson the first time my life fell apart. I should have even seen it crawling up behind me that first time, ready to grasp me by my frail shoulders and drag me down onto the cold ground.

However, I was young and naive, like most people my age.

I thought it was finally going to work out. I thought that my relationship could be successful and I was going to have a happy end. Just for a short while, I hoped for it. I was in love with him, I truly was. He was the only person I could trust, the only person who knew the real me. I couldn't imagine life without him.

Then I had to go and screw it all up.

"Dinner tonight, don't forget!" Chris's voice echoed through the apartment as I grabbed my coat and got ready to leave.

"I remember!" I smiled as I walked out the door. The grin didn't leave my face the whole morning. Not when I was attacked with questions, not even when I was told one of our projects didn't make it through to the next phase.

"Miss McCormick?"

A stern voice made me look up from my paperwork. My boss — the only individual in the building with more authority than me — stood in the doorway of my small office.

"Good afternoon Mr Sanders." I promptly stood up from my chair and fixed my blazer to make sure I looked presentable. "What can I do for you, sir?"

"I have just come to inform you that you are under consideration for a raise. A generous one at that." His voice remained monotonous throughout as he looked down at me through his thin-rimmed glasses. Not in a disrespectful manner, God forbid! I was simply quite a lot shorter than he was.

"I don't know what to say, sir!" I replied happily. "I would be very grateful."

"Yes, well I have one request from you before I make a final decision." He adjusted his grip on the black briefcase he was holding. "I would like you to accompany me at a meeting with the Waterfield Corporation. I think you could provide some valuable input into the discussion."

"Certainly, sir." I nodded enthusiastically. "I would gladly join you."

"Gather your papers then. We leave now."

"Now? But—"

"Are you going, or are you not?"

"Yes, sir." I bit the inside of my lip. "Give me a moment please." I watched as he walked out of the room.

Oh god. What was I doing? What about dinner at the White Dragon with Chris? My hands began to shake. What would he think? He would hate me. I knew he would.

I glanced at the clock. It was five in the afternoon and I was supposed to be leaving work early today. I was supposed to leave in half an hour and enjoy a nice meal with my boyfriend. I cursed under my breath as I grabbed one of the numerous files on my desk.

My career or my relationship? A promotion or Chris?

My brain screamed at me. I couldn't fail. I couldn't give up my career. My instincts wouldn't allow it. I would be giving up my whole life's work. What use was all that effort if I wasn't prepared to dedicate everything to my work? I needed to be successful.

I promised him though. I promised Chris that I would go on another date. I promised him that I would make an effort to keep the relationship going.

Nothing is more important than your success.

I walked out of the building and met Sanders outside his black car. He opened the door and like an idiot, I got in and we drove away.

Guilt ate me up on the inside the entire time. I felt sick and I couldn't focus. All I could think about was Chris and the dinner I was going to miss.