Chapter One | You Can't Always Get What You Want

One:

__________________________

Damn Monday, straight to the fiery pits of hell.

That's a mantra I've always believed in, even before today. But today, on this particular Monday, I can't think of any better words to describe how I'm feeling.

Why, you ask?

Let's start at the beginning...

__________________________

My phones ringtone was blasting incessantly at full volume, forcing me to unhappily roll over in my bed to grab it.

"Hello?" I mumbled groggily, squinting my eyes from the blinding light coming through my curtains.

"Oh my god, you better not still be in bed right now." My best friend's voice came through the speaker painfully loud.

I rolled onto my back, trying not to drift back off to sleep as I held my phone to my ear. An annoyed "Hello?" brought me back to consciousness, and I fully processed what was just said. My eyes snapped open in horror, and I looked over at my digital alarm clock with dread. It was 7:42 AM, Monday morning, and school started at 8:00.

"Audrey Ross." Lauren's voice got louder. "I'm parked in your driveway right now and I swear to god, if you're not out here in five minutes, I'm leaving."

"Okay, okay I'm going!" I yelled, forcing myself to fully wake up as I tossed my phone aside. I shot up and ran to my closet, now completely in panic mode.

I quickly shed my tank top and sweatpants, scanning my measly selection of clothes for something to wear. I'd normally take the time to bring my pajamas to the hamper, but today, as much as it pained me, they'd have to remain abandoned on the floor.

I decided on a long sleeved maroon shirt and blue jeans, barely having my zipper pulled up before I dashed to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I silently thanked the universe I had decided to shower the night before. After putting on deodorant and pulling up my golden-blonde hair into a haphazard bun, I grabbed my school bag and ran down the stairs.

I pulled on black boots over my jeans and slid on my jacket, figuring my mom would understand why I didn't say goodbye as I ran out the door.

The harsh December air was biting at my face as I ran across my frost covered driveway, and I breathed a sigh of relief when I slid into Lauren's car where the heater was blasting.

As soon as the passenger door was shut we took off, speeding through the streets where thankfully there was little traffic.

Lauren looked over at me, a smile hinting on her lips. "You're lucky. One more minute and I was about to be gone."

I laughed apologetically. I knew she would never really leave me but I still felt bad. She had moved here almost a year ago, and we had been close friends ever since.

It was 7:57 when we pulled into our schools parking lot and got out of car. Hurrying towards the front entrance, Lauren looked up at me with a mocking glare. "Because of you, I get no time to hang out with Tyler before class!"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm sure you'll manage." They started dating around 8 months ago, and their honeymoon phase never seemed to end. Every morning I had to run away from Lauren and find my other friends, or else I'd be forced to witness their make out sessions.

Clearing my mind of those thoughts, I waved goodbye to Lauren before walking into my AP Psychology class without a second to spare.

...