Chapter Five | Tumbling Dice

Five:

"Hey," Lauren whispered from her desk right next to mine.

I looked over at her, "What?"

"I totally forgot my birthday is over winter break, we should do something. Oh yeah, yours is coming up, too!"

She absentmindedly tapped her pen on the desk while looking at me for my response.

I nodded, thinking how strange it was that I was gonna turn 18 on December 18th. And exactly 2 days before that would be Lauren's birthday (along with someone else who may or may not be her twin, but is not to be named).

She tapped her chin, looking lost in thought, "There's also Christmas, obviously. Shit there's so much to do! Anyway, back to my birthday, I have an idea."

I urged her to go on.

"Two words. Skiing lodge."

"Hmm, I've never been skiing."

She laughed, "Obviously, this is Southern California. But when you're born and raised in Montana, that's a different story."

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help it and cracked a smile, "That sounds good. How long would we stay there for?"

She opened her mouth to answer me but was interrupted. "Ladies, last time I checked this is Honors English, not social hour." Our teacher, Mr. Brooks, looked at us from the front of the room with a frown.

Lauren flashed a cheesy smile. "Mr. Brooks! I'm shocked you think Audrey and I would waste time gossiping when we have such important vocabulary words to go over!" Her words were dripping in sarcasm, earning giggles throughout the room and causing the frown on our teachers face to deepen.

"Ms. Blake, if you want to keep yourself from earning two days of lunch detention, keep your witty comments to yourself."

She inhaled, obviously about to retort back to him, but I stopped her by kicking her in the ankle. She looked over at me in annoyance but kept her mouth shut.

Tyler, who was sitting in the desk on the other side of her, bit back laughter and gave her arm a reassuring squeeze.

I rolled my eyes and looked towards the front of the room where Mr. Brooks dove back into teaching his lesson, stabbing the white board with his index finger to emphasize his point.

...

"Now we need to take you dress shopping!" Carly exclaimed.

It was lunch and I finally broke the news to Carly and Lily about my ex boyfriend, Jace, asking me to the dance.

I was starting to regret it, though, because Carly wouldn't stop harassing me from the second I told her. "Audrey don't give me that look! We are going to make you look perfect...which you're not too far from."

"I agree," Lauren added, making me wish she had sat with her boyfriend today, like she often did. "Let's go after school today!"

I glared at Lauren and she just smirked. "Seriously, the dance is next Friday so we don't have much time. While I don't like the fact that you're going to the dance with your sleazy ex, since you insist on going, you're gonna look amazing. So whine all you want but we're going. Today."

I sighed after Lauren was done with her speech and looked at Lily for backup. She didn't say anything but nodded in agreement with the others, pity in her eyes.

I used my plastic fork to violently spear a piece of my Caesar salad, resigning myself to the afternoon of hell that was sure to ensue.

...

Once again, right before the last period of the day, Jace found me and insisted on walking me to class. I fought the urge to push him away when he slung an arm around my shoulder.

"Are you excited?" He asked as we walked through the hall.

I looked at him in confusion, "For what?"

"The dance." he said in a duh tone.

"Oh, right. Uh yeah..."

We had reached my US government classroom and were standing next to the open door. There was still about three minutes until the final bell would ring.

"Why don't you sound so sure? It's going to be amazing, I'll plan the perfect night for us."

My eyes widened and my mouth almost dropped open in disbelief; from the way he was talking, it seemed like he thought we were do more than just go to the dance.

If that's the case than he was in for a surprise; I'm a virgin and definitely do not plan on changing that, at least not with him.

Jace obviously didn't pick up on my thoughts. He leaned forward and kissed me. Before I could even react he pulled away and said, "I gotta get to class babe, don't worry about the dance, it'll be perfect."

I watched him walk away in shock. Babe? What the hell. I agreed to go to dance, not get back together with him.

I looked down and sighed loudly, preparing myself to go into the classroom.

Someone's throat cleared. I looked up and, lo and behold, Trent was standing there staring at me.

"Babe?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Why do you care?" I asked. I intended to come off defiant, but ended up sounding shaky.

He stepped forward, trapping me in my spot where I had been leaning against the wall. He leaned in close, so close I inhaled a delicious swirl of his cologne along with his minty breath, centimeters from my face.

"Curiosity," he breathed the word.

I was so distracted by his closeness that it took me a minute to realize he was answering my earlier question.

I grabbed his shoulders, preparing to push him away from me. I forgot about my intention, though, as I felt his muscles slightly ripple beneath my hands.

I looked up into his eyes, and he seemed as distracted as me. Frozen in our position, I didn't break out of my spell until some guy whooped as he walked passed us into the classroom, and some jealous girl muttered, "Get a room."

I realized what we probably looked like and roughly shoved Trent away, embarrassed beyond belief.

Going into the packed classroom with Trent hot on my heels, I could feel multiple stares, and, maybe I was just being suspicious, even some whispers.

Some guy offered Trent a high five and whispered, "Hell yeah, man!"

My cheeks burned as I sunk into my seat, wishing I could be anywhere but here. Thankfully, Mr. Moss wasted no time in firing up his lecture and the class was soon over with no more incidents.

When the bell rang I hauled my ass out of there, stopping by my locker to toss in a book.

When I turned to leave I almost ran into Lauren, whose sudden appearance made me jump in surprise.

I looked up and noticed that Lily and Carly were standing right behind her. I groaned, slamming shut my locker.

She smirked. "Where do you think you're going? We've got shopping to do."

___________________________

Whoop whoop!
Another chapter done ;)
I hope you liked it, the next one's coming soon.
Feel free to comment thoughts/opinions & if you liked it please vote :))