The Reapings

                                        "Expect the unexpected, anticipate the unanticipated" 

   It was the day everybody in the districts dreaded. Mothers and Fathers with no guarantee their children would come home. Children with a chance of leaving their  family behind. The fear of dying young is bad enough, but I cant even imagine actually dying young. You have your whole life ahead of you and its just ripped right away from you before you can even blink.

    I put on a dress similar to the one Katniss wore for the reaping she volunteered in but longer and in black. My hair is in messy waves down my shoulders but that doesn't  matter. Even though I had a pretty good shot of winning  I'm still terrified of the reapings. I am not nearly as strong as Katniss I could NOT handle myself knowing I killed another person. Knowing that person had a family and a life. And it was me that took it from them. 

    I get to the town hall where the reapings are held, make sure Prim gets situated and get myself to where I have to be. To pass time I start thinking what would happen if I got reaped. Who would get Peeta when Katniss woke up screaming from her nightmares?  Who would feed Pasiley? Who would help Prim with her homework after school? Who would help Mom keep the little sanity she had left? 

  My thoughts are cut off when Effie Trinket, Our escourt steps on stage. 

"Hello district 12! How lovely is the weather today. On this special day one male and female tribute will be chosen to represent District 12 in the 74th Annual Hunger Games!" She stops as if waiting for an applause. 

Well if she wants one she is really not getting one.

"Shall we begin then" She waltz over to the bowl that holds every eighteen to twelve year old girls name in the District and picks one up. "Rowan Everdeen" 

Those words make my heart stop beating. That was me. Rowan Everdeen. I step out trying to look as brave and strong as I can. Still not able to process the fact that I'm going into the games. The games I have been told will ruin me mentally and physically too.

I look to my right and see Pasiley with tears in her eyes. Holding back sobs. I give her a nod and walk up the stairs to where Effie is. I have talked to Effie a few times because of Katniss but still I don't feel very comforted. 

" Rowan, I am sure the Capitol will be very happy to see you again." I look at Katniss who can't even look up because of the events. I see Peeta looking really down and trying to calm down Katniss. Prim is now crying with Pasiley. My mother, oh my Mother who has had almost everyone taken away from her by the capitol. 

I put on my best fake smile "And I them, Effie." 

" Perfect" She says " Now, for the boys...Mason Albech" A 18 year old tall boy comes from the stage and looks down at me and smirks.

"What a handsome young man "Effie Beams " Happy Hunger Games and May the Odds be ever in your favor"

***

My visits are what almost break me. 

 After two seconds a crying Prim walks in and hugs me. My mother who has also let a few tears slip hugs me also. This reminds me of when Katniss volunteered and we just hugged for a while. 

"Listen you two, Katniss is going to take care of you anyways so listen to her. If something happens to Pasiley's mother take her in. Make sure they are fed. Mother, You have to go back to keeping the house clean. Don't let it turn into Haymitch's okay? " I joke and they laugh. "Ok, Prim keep doing your math homework, if you don't understand ask for help okay?" she nods.

"Guys I'm coming back okay?" They stop crying "I'll be here soon enough"

"We love you Rowan" They say 

"I love you too"

The peacekeepers come in and take them away.

"Rowan" cries Pasiley " I -My -the"

"Shhhhhhh" I say and once she quiets up I start explaining "Listen my mother promised to take you in if something happened okay? Those berries that grow by the edge of you house, keep picking those. My sister will send you the things you need. Got it" I almost yell.

She looks at me with sad eyes "Thank you for everything" is all she says

I know exactly what she means " I'll be fine, so will you" I tell her. 

Hey guys I'm going to end it there!!! Its getting really late and I might post in the evening tomorrow. I have midterms so I will be studying a lot. But will mostly post Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and Saturday! <3 XOXO -Serena